1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever tried a composit deck board as a cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DesMoines2500, Nov 20, 2012.

1. DesMoines2500

DesMoines2500 Senior Member

[FLAME SUIT ON]

I'm in the market for a new cutting edge and looked into the poly ones that go for $300+. I don't want to pay that much. Started thinking about substitutes.

Has anyone ever tried other materials? It seems to me a composite deck board is similar in dimensions and FAR cheaper. Would it last a few snows sandwiched between a metal plate and the plow? It's cheap enough and easy enough to work with to fashion a new one every snow.

Yes, I realize this is probably one of the dumber questions ever asked. I really do.

2. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Buy the cutting edge.

I know you are a rookie plower but some things you just don't half axx.

Des Moines can get some extended snow fall and how are you going to justify pulling off your sub route to go change your worn out
    mickey mouse cutting edge?? The money you think you'll save will be lost in down time in a situation like this when you COULD BE
    plowing but nope......... back at the shop.

3. DesMoines2500

I was thinking of using in conjunction with a steel cutting edge. Sandwiched between that steel edge and the blade in a way that the steel wouldn't contact the ground until the bottom inch of the composite board wore down. Then the steel would be there for the rest of the day.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

OP, do some searches UHMW polythylene.

5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Nothing wrong with brainstorming,but that 1" of deck board will either break or wear down within the 1st hour of use.

6. DesMoines2500

7. DesMoines2500

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It depends on what "poly" your talking about?....but typically UHMW polythylene is going to be cheaper than polyurethane. I would recommend 1.5in thick material (regardless of which "poly" you choose to go with)....or doubled up 3/4 in thick material. For my situation, I prefer uhmw polythylene over polyurethane.

And as you mentioned, use your exsisting steel edge as a template.

9. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

On a straight blade you might be able to have a metal shop fab you up one for less than $300.

Give that poly stuff a try and let the rest of us cheap guys know how it goes.

10. DesMoines2500

So is the UMHW in the link the same stuff that these $350 plow edges are made of? Wow, I could at least 6 1" thick ones for my blade for $41 if that's the case.

Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene

Is that the good stuff?!

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

12. DesMoines2500

OK, that link is $41 per SQUARE FOOT. So $1600 per 4'x10' sheet. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is!

I did find a place nearby that lines dump truck beds with "Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene" and has a scrap pile they sell at $3 a pound. Going to check that out at lunch.

Snocrete, thanks for the tip, but the guy at the dumpbed place had never hear of "polythylene" and said they used "UHMW polyethylene" and had sold it or plowers before.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  13. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

not qiute. thats $41 per sqaure foot x 40 ft = $1640 you could get 11 edges= $150 per + cut fees

14. tjslider

tjslider Member

Wouldn't that be $970 for a full sheet?? 4' X 10' X $24.25 sq/ft = $970

TJ

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I build my own cutting edges out of mild steel and they last as long as a oem edge at 1/2 the price

Last time I bought one for my 8.5 pro plus they was 250 that was back 2004 I thinking

16. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

composite deck boards are really britle, even more so in the cold. I've dropped several off of fork lifts when I worked at the lumber yard. none ever survived without breaking. id guess that as soon as you hit....even bumped anything half as hard that would make the plow trip, you'd be busting that cutting edge to pieces. it'd be cheaper to go to the scrap yard and buy a piece of hot rolled flat bar for 50 cents/lbs and cut it and drill the holes yourself. I'm sure regular mild steel isn't nearly as hard as the cutting edges you'd buy at the plow store, but I bet it's cheaper and outta last awhile.

17. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

:popcorn::drinkup::popcorn::drinkup:

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

huh....well whatever...guess I've been calling it by the wrong name all these yrs:confused:...regardless I know it works well, and I'm sure we're talking about the same thing. Glad I could help, and good luck! Post a pic when you get it done!Thumbs Up

19. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Take my word, DONT use a composite deck board, Trust me, I'm a handyman & build quit a few decks & fences every year. It would not work, to could leave marks & it will break, you would not get as clean scrape as you'd like either. Time to fart aroud would far exeed the price of a proper cutting edge, buy a real one, you will regret it if you use anything else.