1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever powdercoat a plow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bottlefed89, Aug 22, 2004.

1. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

Hey, I am looking at a 95 f350 with a flatbed, spreader, and western plow. plow is rusty so I would paint. Just finished rebuilding a couple 250r fourwheelers and I got the frames powdercoated pretty reasonably, so I wondered if anyone had ever tried it on a plow?? thanks in advance.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I was thinking of spraying that rhino lining stuff never rust or needs painting either
  3. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

That would be a good idea i think Chris. I am buying a new plow this year so i might wait a year to do that, but i think that rhino lining or speedliner would be great for a plow. I had my bed of my truck sprayed with speedliner they said speedliner is suppose to be better than rhino, but i dont know. That defin, is a good idea i am thinking of that myself for next year.
  4. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

If I am not mistaken, most of the plow manufactures do POWDER COAT their plows??? I could be very wrong, but I know BLIZZARD PLOWS are powder coated. Just my thought.

I hope I was of help.

5. snoking

snoking Senior Member

yes jon all plows do come powder coated....there is a place in GR that we use for our back blades when we build them, ill have dig up the name and number
  6. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

I should have mentioned that I was also wondering about rhino lining one, anyone tried it yet?? I got the inside of the deck of one of my mowers done and it's held up great and doesn't let grass build up in there.
  7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You will lose a lot of the rolling action with powder coating. You want a smooth surface to prevent snow from sticking. I have found it best to blast them and then just use regular primer and paint. Holds up for a couple of years and easier touchup.
  8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I would think that coating a blade with rhinolining would add too much weight to the blade. This could be especially detrimental when pushing heavy wet snow that tends to stick to the blade.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The RhinoLining and Line-X and such products, I agree that they will be heavy... they are also textured so THAT is where you will lose the rolling effect and have snow sticking. Powder coating, if done properly, is smooth just like paint.
  10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

i am saving the BS and having my blade blasted & hot dip galvinized!
  11. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

The texturing portion can be eliminated by changing the spray pattern. I used to work in a shop that sprayed Line X and it is a 2 step process. The fiest step is a smooth thick coat. The second step is applied just before the first coat tacks up and that is the textured portion.
  12. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I want to do that to Nate. I saw Garagekeeper had one done. I am seriously sonidering it for two older blades I am rebuilding.
  13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

it is actually pretty cost effective, around $350 for the blade and sector/a-frame