1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever make their own mount?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by rusty_keg_3, Jan 11, 2010.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Heres the deal, i know this kid, who got some Meyer from his grandpa... Well, it was just the plowside, and i guess some wiring maybe. I havent seen any of it. But he needs a mount and he is thinking of making his own mount... He is going to school to be a mechanic, but he has never welded b4 (we take a welding class together). I said it sounds like a bad idea, especially for a newbie welder, he says it will be fine...

So has any1 made their own mount?

Oh, its goin on a 80 somethin (84 or 85) Ford (not sure what size), but it is a dually, and powerstroke...

Dose any1 else think its a bad idea? Or will it be fine?
  2. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

watch ebay and craigslst for a mount. I found a bolt on frame and e60 pump for my truck for $200. (Lucky find!) If he really wants to make his own go to the meyers sits and get the install inst for the truck.It will have a diagram of what you need to replicate.You have to engineer a homemade mount to withstand a lot of abuse. I made one before the craigs list deal and didnt use heavy enough angle iron and it bent a little after 8-10 hrs of plowing (lotsa manholes)
  3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I sold a set up that was home made on the truck side for $400. It was for a ford. The set up used a meyer blade, a frame, ect and a western power pack. You can tell it was just cut up with a torch and welded up It was cleaned up at all. I think is was made out of 1/4 inch plate. He has plowed with it for 2 years now with no problems. Does not look pretty , but gets the job done. If you take your time and make good welds there is not a problem with making your own mount.
  4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

It takes time but it can be done,

I have found the easiest way and I have made several frame mounts by making modifications to existing mounts to fit other trucks, I recently took a ford Super Duty MDII bracket kit and modified it to support a Diamond pull-away clevis, worked out very well. With four hours of trimming, drilling, cutting, grinding, welding and painting, you couldn't tell it from Uncle Meyer's!

I only wish I had taken pictures of it :cry:
  5. brenda

brenda Junior Member

Hi Nascar 24,
    I bought Diamond Tripedge model 7.5 plow. Thought we had the correct mount package for the plow but it is different. It seems that plow was produced for about 2 years and they quit making supplies for it. So now we are stuck trying to find a match that will fit both the plow and the 1995 Bronco we have or
    my husband and son may have to alter the mount I bought.

Our neighbor is a welder and may be able to help us design a mount.
    This is becoming a pricey venture. Any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated,
  6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I would say, since you guys are in a welding class. Have him make it as a class project, that way the teacher will grade it and more importantly give it an OK that it is, or isn't safe. worst case maybe teach can lend a hand with it. I have made a lower mount before, and moded plenty of other mounts to fit my needs. I took a an adult ed welding class at BOCES and made a trailer hitch, another friend made a hitch hauler rack. Any one that is a home welder, not as there job, can benefit from a class. It can teach you new or better technique, and give you a new point of view.
  7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Can you post some pictures of the attachment points on you plow's A-Frame? Diamond used a few diffrent designs over the past 20 years and If I see what you have I can determine what you have.