1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever lose a magnetic lightbar?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by G.M.Landscaping, Nov 26, 2007.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

They say not to travel with them. Some say safe to 65MPH, others say remove while on the highway.

So who never removes a magnet only mini lightbar and never had any problems?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It should say the speed not to exceed. I had a 4 magnet mini code 3 bar on my truck as a part time firefighter for 4 years. Never had a problem. Drove to Cleveland from Akron 35 miles on the highway 3 times a week. Never even moved.

3. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

My buddy had a Whelen mini edge w/ 4 magnets on it, if he did more than 70mph it would come off the roof and almost through the back window!!! He only did this twice before putting a quick disconnect on the roof so he could remove it. Thats the only case I can think of.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I go 65- 70mph all the time with my highlighter on the roof, it never moves.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Whelen 9m mini edge have a real nasty habit of fly off at 60mph. But the nice thing is they will hit the ground at 60mph, slide down the road. Just pick it back up and it still will work. But you will need to buy all new amber plastic for it.

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

in one word, no

7. G.M.Landscaping

OK, So it is true that they will come off.
    I asked this Q since I just ordered one. I've only run permenant mounts and I was concernered that this might happen.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

we have 4 mini-edge and several code-3 force4 lp's and the edges will jump off when a swmi- passes you on a 2lane so i just put silicone(the sticky stuff not the lube LOL) under the mags and havent had a problem since

9. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I have a 4 mag mini on my f-150 and drive approx 35mi each day on the expressway at speeds of 75-80mph and have never had a problem with it comming off

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

never had a problem with mine.

11. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had the Sho-Me LED lightbar on the top of my truck now for 3 years straight, all year.

Been doing as fast as 80 and it's still there.

Plowing under low tree branches it's still there, cord and all.

12. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

yes. had two highliters buck off the roof of a jeep Cherokee when I was doing a buck.(when i worked for the sheriffs department.)

13. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Never had a problem on the road. Although I did lose one when I forgot it was up there and went through the car wash. Luckly it was a cheapy.

14. G.M.Landscaping

15. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I have been up to about 75mph with my ecco mini light bar and never had any problems, yet knock on wood.

16. flashinglight

flashinglight Junior Member
    from maine

I think it comes down to weight of the bar vs the number of magnets on the light. The whelen mini edge is a heafty bar vs the whelen guardian.

17. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I lost a SWS strobe on the highway.

I saw it spit out the back but couldn't figure out what it was for the longest time.

Then plowing the next site I noticed my light wasn't blinking :p

I sent SWS an email and they promptly sent me a brand new light assembly. I now only buy SWS products. No hastles, no nothing, just sent me a brand new light. Said they had a problem with one revision of these lights and the plastic was too heavy.

18. Jim Karns

Jim Karns Member

Greetings,

I had my Whelen mini edge blow off the roof 2 years ago. All was well at highway speed until I caught a gust of wing. Well...., It had nice form - doing a double two and a half with a twist (a 2.85 difficulty factor) but had a REALLY poor exit......self destructing in ths fast lane of I-84. Bad marks from the Russian judge. A lesson well learned - my new bar is a permenant mount with a quick disconnect. :salute:

19. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

I've used them in the past and never had a problem.
    While it is not against the LAW to sell them, it is against the Law to use them in NYS.
    Because Law enforcement is cracking down on every little thing in my area I went with a Permanent mount this year.

20. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Lost a nice Whelen Resp 2 going about 75 with a 30mph head wind, went back to get it and could not find it. Since then I buy the strobe mini bar from Strobes N more and have not lost one since.