1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Ever Hear of a 03' 2500HD Not Being Able To Have A Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TurbDies2500, Oct 21, 2007.

1. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

Hey guys, My friend just bought a 2003 2500HD Duramax with the crew cab and short bed. The Fisher dealership said that it could not support an 8ft HD. They said that it would not meet the DOT weight requirements. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. I am wondering if Fisher just dosn't want to take on the liability with putting it on or if there are some HD trucks that just cannot handle a plow. Someone please let me know you think?
  2. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Ever notice how the crew cab short boxes do not come with a plow prep. I think it has something to do with the total weight of the truck, load, and weight of people inside it. I think once you add the weight of the people inside, it isn't legal I think.

Not 100% sure though.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher says no because on a crew cab diesel the plow will exceed the front axle capacity by several hundred pounds, due to the additional seating capacity of the crew cab GM calculates into the FAWR. Fisher is just covering their butt. But the truck will take the weight... and how many guys plow with 6 people in the truck anyway? Not too many....
  4. TurbDies2500

Alright thanks a lot. Thats what my guess was but I wasn't totally sure. I called the dealership and asked them if they had an packages that they sell to put on the HD's but they said the HDs should have all the stuff on there to support a plow. If anyone has heard of any package to put on those trucks to hold the extra weight, let me know? Thanks a lot

DMAXMIKE Junior Member
    from mi

They told me i couldn't put an 8' plow on my 04 4-door Duramax also but i did. As a matter of fact the dealer put bolth front wheel bearings under warranty and a transmission under warranty and they never said a word about it. I have over 100k on it now and yep i am still plowing with it.

PH 004.jpg
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

dmaxmike - what tires do you have on there?
  7. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Thats exactly what I was going to say....

DMAXMIKE Junior Member
    from mi

Wild Trac DTX if i remember right they are cordovan tires. They are great in the snow.
  9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

never heard of them, but they sure look like they bite!
  10. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Just add a set of Timbrens, crank the T-bars 4-6 turns, add bout 800-1000# in the bed and he'll be good to go.
  11. vector330ix

vector330ix Junior Member
    from nh

I have the xtracab 2500HD with the allinson they said same thing to me. your GVW is only so high and with total possible weight you can't do it. but i dont have the duramax i have the 8.1L gas job. so my motor is lighter. that changed everything and i have an 8' SS Xblade. but i dont beleive the duramax wont take it.. i think thats garb. my truck GVW is 9100. how fat are they expecting the passangers??
  12. TurbDies2500

The truck has BFGoodrich All-Terrains on it. We cranked the torsion bars up and little and it seems to be good. When you turn a certain way the tires rub the plastic skirt around the bottom of the front bumper but whatever. Its already ruined from putting the push plates on.

13. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I'm guessing the truck has 285's or larger tires ? Theres no way a 245 or 265 will rub.
    How many turns in the torsion bars ?

I'd still put timbrens in, but thats just me :rolleyes:
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How did you manage to fry an Allison. I have an 02 the same as yours and it 's had a 9'2 Boss on it since new and it has 160k on it and the front end is original except for ball joints.
  15. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I have a friend who had them on the town trucks..reg cab..and they bottomed out the front end all the time ..gassers...

I would think if ya have one of these Chev's to put extra springs on them in the front..
  16. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

why doesn't your friend buy a cash and carry and install it himself? That way fisher sold the plow they didnt install it. The mounts should be the same as any other 2500hd, I can't see why it wouldn't be.
  17. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

If you take a look in the Dodge Fourm there is a guy with 3500 dodge and he cant put a plow on it for the same reason.