1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever have this problem?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Doom & Gloom, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

First time in ten years I have had this question asked to me. "What are the brown lines in my driveway and can you not put them there and will they come off?" I said it is rust from the steel residue from the plow and I'm not sure it will come off. Am I right? She asked if I could use a rubber blade or just not plow to the concrete. I said I'm not used to these questions, but I will try to meet your requests. Is it still worth doing?:dizzy::confused:

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

say you can snowblow it for 4x the amount of the push...

You'll be scraping that concrete with your chit again in no time.

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

its not worth doing it

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

u leave brown lines? my cutting egde is nice and shiney it rusts over the summer but first push all clean again

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Stop dragging your azz and use your blade,:D

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

R O F L M A O !!!!! :dizzy: Sorry,,,that was funny

7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

take the feet off the plow......

8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ya Ive seen that on concrete, it eventually will disappear.

9. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

If her driveway is all or part concrete it wil streak from the blade, I would use a blower and do her driveway last or not do her driveway at all. She will always be complaining!

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i had someone complain that i was scratching up her driveway, and asked if i could use a rubber edge. and then proceeded to tell me that i was using to big of a truck for her house.

11. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

it's not rust off the plow, it's a small amount of metal left over from the plow rubbing on the abrasive concrete. the metal then rusts, and leaves a brown stain

12. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a pickey client....

13. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Never heard that one?? Geez. All my blades leave rust spots on the shop floor in between events, but after one drop of the blade I would assume all rust to be gone? I would explain to her that is a complaint you've never heard, which you did, than also explain there is nothing you could do to prevent that. Its normal.

Then shrug your shoulders, shake your head, roll your eyes and make some kind of a sighing sound. She what she does? JK

14. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

you could take the feet off the plow, i know the feet cause that streak sometimes.

but there is a way just lifting the plow 1/2" or so off the pavement. I used do that with gravel drives.

15. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

i do commerical stuff but do a few driveways in my neighborhood...i leave little marks on all the driveways from the plow but the only one that complains is my dad, so i asked him to grab his gas can so i can go fill it up for him so he can just use his snowblower from now on, last time i heard anything about the rust marks :D im sure if its that big of a deal you could drop by her house in the spring and a pressure washer should take the marks right off

16. stonewellmark

stonewellmark Member

Tell her that her driveway is takin' all the brown color (rust or whatever it is) off your plow, but its OK you won't charge her for it. Besides its probably frozen dirt or gravel from an onsurfaced driveway or lot.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

My plow does it but nobody says anything.

18. wildbro 1

wildbro 1 Junior Member

sounds like she's trying to hint she wants you to change your cutting edge or pay to clean her whole drive in the spring with power washing or do whatever she wants you to do id tell her shes crazy

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

man, you all are gonna lose your clients with that attitude..

she has a legitimate complaint, why are you all so quick to dismiss it?

offer to provide her with a free powerwash in the spring, and explain how it's doing that as said above. Not worth swapping edges over, but i'd say it's worth explaining it to the customer so she at least understands and doesn't think your an azz hat.

what happened to customer is always right, and every complaint is valid?..geesh...

20. wildbro 1

wildbro 1 Junior Member

i know man but usually there is always one person that just cant stop complaining if she was one of my good customers i would power wash it for free to keep her happy i dont know the circumstances of the woman