1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever have this happen! Not good.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by peterk800xc, Feb 10, 2015.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

I have had Boss plows for over 10 years and have never had this happen and have no idea of why but glad I caught it before something worse happened. I bought a BN 8' Super Duty this Fall. I put the plow on 3 weeks ago and have not taken it off as of yet because of the constant snows. Today whild washing the truck looked down at the Passenger side of the quick pin attachment where the pin goes into the frame to hold the entire plow on. I see the Pin is just hanging there, NOT into the hole where it was weeks earlier! The entire assembly was gone! No springs or bolt, just the big Pin hanging down. I took the truck into my shop and thought that it would be easy to fix, just jack the frame up and slide the pin back in and secure it until I can get the parts. No such luck, I had to hammer the pin in to the hole and secured it with a couple hose clamps. Has anyone ever had this happen ? All I can think is that when the dealer installed the plow the bolt was not tightened up and fell off letting the springs loosen up and fall off and eventually the pin started to back out and almost fell right off the plow. Thanks for any help on this.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I had it happen on my old boss without the power on/off. Just be glad it didnt hop out of the lower hooks and try to stay in the pile of snow like mine did.

3. peterk800xc

yes I have no idea of why it did not flop over to one side when I lifted it or like you said fall right out of the hooks.:mechanic:

4. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

BOSS is aware of the coupler stop pin issue that has been described. If you are experiencing this issue, please notify your BOSS Dealer for further assistance. Please also provide your dealer with your plow serial number and date of purchase. Thank you!

5. peterk800xc

thank you

Thanks for this information.I will be calling them.

6. daveslawns

daveslawns Member
    from Niagara

i bought a new 8.2 vxt last year and this year I have broke two springs while plowing fluff, personal plow n truck so I do not abuse my equipment. I called my dealer because it has only been a year if that and he said it was not covered under warranty?

7. peterk800xc

Just off the phone with Boss.

I just got off the phone with a very nice Customer Service Rep. I explained what happened and he said they know there is a problem with these new designed Pins and told me that all the Dealers have the Service Bulletin to address this issue. He said to take it to my Selling Dealer and they will take care of this issue. He said that any of the other parts that may have gotten bent or broke will be replaced at no charge. I asked him about the Drivers side Pin and he said that Yes these,were the same as the Passenger side and may break also. I cannot take the plow off as we have more snow coming but I did secure the Pins with HD wire ties to hold them into the mount just in case.

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

What year plows are affected by these newly designed pins?

9. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

Plows manufactured between May of 2014 up to February of 2015 used the square headed coupler stop pins.

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Are they on all the boss plows at that time or certain models only?

11. peterk800xc

Just wondering why BOSS and their Dealers did not notify their Customers on this potentially dangerous defect? If these plows were made in May seems to me that that's plenty of time to notify Customers. I am glad I noticed this defective pin setup before something more drastic happened. I would think that BOSS should IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE OWNERS OF THIS!! I purchased my new Super Duty from Casullos in Kenmore NY and will ask them this same question.

12. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Even if the pins haven't broke yet, should you take the plow to your dealer to get the correct pin? We bought two new VXT's this fall and they have been great so far. Just wondering what we should do to make sure they don't break.

13. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

The revised coupler stop pin was used on all UTV, Sport Duty, Standard Duty, Super Duty, Power-V, VXT and DXT plows (excluding 10ft models).

14. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

We recommend that you continue to inspect the pins. If you do notice any issues, please notify your BOSS Dealer for further assistance. You may also request to have the square coupler stop pin replaced at no charge even if the pins haven’t broken.

15. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

Peter – Thank you for notifying your dealer of the issue you experienced with your coupler pin stop. All BOSS Dealers were notified earlier this month that in certain conditions this pin may bend and possibly break. If customers are concerned that their plow may be impacted by this we would encourage them to inspect their coupler pin or visit their dealer to have the square coupler stop pin replaced at no charge. If you would like to discuss this issue further we would be happy to contact you directly to discuss.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  16. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Ok thanks for the assistance!

17. onsight

onsight Senior Member

Could someone please post a picture of the part that is breaking?
    Thanks

18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

X2. It sounds like it's the upper pin that holds the plow to the push beam, but I'm not sure.

19. peterk800xc

It's the 2 sliding pins that snap closed when you drive into the plow.One on Driver side and the other on the Passenger side.These lock the plow to the truck mount.

20. bolake

bolake Senior Member

I have a VXT8'2" with the smart hitch bought new and install last October I'm sure it would fall in the dates above. When I looked at my pins, the 1" that hold the plow to the truck they are round. What are the square coupler stop pins referred to above?