1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever get stuck in a yard?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gc3, Dec 22, 2009.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

So a few weeks ago I pushed out the snow about 60 feet into the grass and I sunk alittle cause it wasn't completely frozen yet. When I was done I had some small ruts out to the pile and the yard has a slight slope down. Today we finally got about 5 more wet inches so I raised her alittle higher hoping to fill in and compact the ruts at the same time while pushing. When I was almost done, while backing up I started spinning and I slid alittle sideways and ended up in the old rut. I guess it turned to ice in the rut and I couldn't get out. I did have 560 lbs in the back end also. luckily it was a friends house and I hooked up a tow strap and he pulled me out. I finished the drive and pushed out the rest of the snow back out into the yard but only to the point where I got stuck. So now I have two piles with about 10 feet between them. It looks silly but I'm not taking a chance of getting stuck again. I was just wondering if this ever happened to anyone else or if someone had any advice on how to deal with a sloping yard and not getting stuck in it or the previous ruts. I still don't think the ground is completely frozen yet. :dizzy:

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Next time don't drive off the driveway.If you feel the tire dip ,that's far enough.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is that how you do it in Hawaii?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sand is not as easy to drive in as you think.:D

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicRemember that little sign ya drove over when you pushed the snowpile 60 feet into the lawn. STAY OFF THE GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jester:

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Anyone ever get stuck in a yard?

This year? - No. Usually get stuck at least once a year in my own driveway, though.

Best advise is to stay off the grass until the ground is well frozen - not just on the top couple inches. Even then, avoid drop-offs. When you raise the plow to back out, the back end is light and loses traction easily. You're basically back to 2wd (front end) which can't make up the difference. I've had to call a tow truck several times when I'd push "just a little further"; drop the front wheels into a little ditch and couldn't back out.

8. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Sure...got the plow hung up way high when stacking and the rear wheels were on ice...duh!
    Had to dig under the plow a bit with a shovel then she backed right out...with a little sand under the wheels...:nod:

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Get some traction aids, they are the best invention ever for plow trucks.

10. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

my neighbor got stuck plowing another neighbors drive, he has a 1 ton dodge diesel long bed, one like pete15482 or whatever his SN is, the really long red truck, my neighbor pushed snow over the driveway, and he forgot that the grass went way down on the side and his tires got stuck 6 inches in the grass, so I hooked my tow strap up and pulled him out.
    I got stuck when I used my tractor and grandpa's quad. But I don't think I've ever got stuck in my truck................nope, atleast not yet.

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

To answer your question, no, I have never been stuck.

Now my question...Why are you pushing snow 60 feet into a yard in Illinois? Nowhere to pile snow? Illinois doesn't get that much.....

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Yep-....while pilig the snow so I was on top of the pile

13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

The back yard is the only place I could pile it at. I went out farther this year than last year cause by the end of the season I was pushed back to the beginning of the yard. Since the yards uneven and slopes down alittle it's hard to feel it dip down. So you guys are saying if the ground isn't completely frozen to drive on you would just stack the snow at the edge of grass and not go out farther even if it's wet and it makes a tank trap at this early in the snow season?

14. Mick

from Maine

Yes. Better yet, look around before it snows and plan. Look for places to stack so as to maximize available space without driving on unfrozen ground. Maybe leaving open space for you to drive on and push back after the ground thaws. Take pictures so you can refer to them and locate uneven surfaces. Plan for drainage during thaws so melting snow won't cross traffic areas nor puddle. Planning may need to include hauling snow from the property. Locate a potential dump site. Or plan to bring in a loader to stack onsite.

PLANNING is the key.

15. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  16. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

i got stuck at the end of a drive way the other night tire went right off into a ditch .. thank goodness for tow straps and a 4wheeler

17. Mick

from Maine

18. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

i get stuck once maybe twice a year just from stupid mistakes but if i go in the grass leave ruts i keep extra stakes in my toolbox i just throw one out and put a small pile at the edge...its not fun getting stuck at all somewhat embarassing at that

19. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

So if you left a rut or its to soft you just pile your snow at the edge of grass. If it gets any moisture or rain,( like it is now), on or in it and the temp finally does drop and freezes you can't move that pile right? Then it'll just block the drive some the more you push into it.

20. Mick

from Maine

That's why I said to leave room to get around it. Then you can take small bites of the pile and push back to where you wanted in the first place.

If there just isn't room for that, maybe it needs to be done with a snowblower.