1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever fit a truck plow to a skid loader?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by TL697, Sep 17, 2008.

1. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I'm thinking of possibly mounting my 8' Northman plow from my Ram 2500 on my SR-80 compact track loader. Has anyone done this?

I have 2 quik-tach plates to fabricate a hard mount to the machine... I assume I could also use the aux hydraulics for the angle function and the normal bucket/boom functions to raise/lower the plow...

Will the angle cylinders hold up to the aux hydraulic pressure?

Any info greatly appreciated

Thanks,

~Troy

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We fit a loader up with one of our 10ft westerns just as you described without any issue. I dont imagine youll have a problem with a s/s.

3. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

It will work just fine, I do it all the time. The only thing I have found is you need to get use to how it reacts because it is very fast, putting a restrictor in line and/or using 1/4 lines helps slow it down

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to throw a crossover releif vavle in the angle system. If you don't it not only will be fast, it can destroy things, more pressure then they're designed for.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I thought that valve was for when you hit something, the pressure from the one cylinder went to the other one.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It wil also stop the rams from overpressureing. Which is what they do when they hit something.

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Converting a truck mounted plow to fit a skid steer is very easy to do. The most expensive parts for me were the couplers but I made the mistake of buying them at a John Deere dealer when I should've purchased them at any farm supply store for much less.

Basher has excellent advise...you will need to slow down the amount of flow going to the angle cylinders. They'll move at mach 1 speed without it.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Cool, I did not know that.:drinkup:

9. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Yeah, I already have a set of coupler plates... Also, my machine has proportional hydraulics,so I can control the flow to the cylinders. I realize that it would still be a good idea to add a crossover valve to avoid damage...

Thanks to everyone for the responses