1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever do this with a spreader??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mackman, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I will be buying a used Airflo spreader at the end of the season. It is my unlces. The motor on it is shot. It is a B&S. I was thinking about putting a small diesel on it. Like a KD440 Kohler Diesel.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=KD440

If anyone has done this before please share how it worked for you. To me i think it will be great. But then again if it was so great i dont know why i never seen it.

This is the spreader i will be buying.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. procut

procut Senior Member

I don't really see the advantage, plus a lot of times diesels don't like cold.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

wtf would you want to run a diesel? if anything go electric

4. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Well diesel will last longer. Plus it will use less fuel as the gas motor. So less times i got to get out to re-fuel. Better warranty and newer diesels don't seem to care about the cold. But if it did ain't nothing alittle starter fluid cant fix.

It seems diesels have alot less problems then gas motors. Talking about small motors. Small gas motors have carbs to were the small diesel is fuel injection. Overall i just think the diesel would be better. But like i said if it was so great the spreader companys would put them on right from the factory.

I have to find a price out. They could cost a ton of money thats why they don't do it.

Im not a fan of electric. I will put another Gas motor on it before i go electric.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

The spreader or other components will die long before the diesel does. last I checked you couldn't buy a new spreader sans a motor. you will never get a ROI on a diesel engine in a salt spreader motor unless you're spreading for a week straight at a time. Diesels are meant to be run for long periods of time. I think you plow roads right? I guess you run it longer than the average lot-jockey but still There are a lot of times when its just going to be riding around not running. are you really wasting time filling it up? I think i top off my spreader once every 4 storms.

why not electric? the torque of an electric motor is huge. its a big misconception that they don't work well for "commercial" applications. I wish my spreader was electric, when the 10.5hp B+S dies, I'll be swapping in a 1hp electric unit.

6. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Yes i do plow roads. On my run that i do it will take around 6-7 loads in a 1.8 yard spreader. Have to fill up around every 3-4 loads. So 2 fill-ups. Sometime we will spread more then that depending on the storm.

The reason im not a fan of electric is cuz i dont really know anything about them. Plus on a gas or small diesel i can work on them my self. To wear as electric i would be lost. Im not saying electric is junk. I just want to stick with what i know. We have a small diesel tractor we use to cut my grass. 1.5 ac er. It starts once every week and runs for about 1hr. That motor has gave me zero problems. It is a small kubota tractor. It sits all winter and will fire right up in the spring. That why i think a small diesel will work good.

7. Mackman

from S.E. PA

One problem i just ran into. Is the shaft. I need a vertical shaft. All the shafts for the kohler diesel are Horizontal. That may be why spreader companys never used them.

Edit Found one
    http://www.hatz.com/index.php?id=72&L=1.

Never seen a Hatz diesel before. Anyone ahve and input on these??

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I was just thinking the same thing. I don't think I've ever seen a vertical shaft diesel.

Most small diesels run $600-1000 too. gas could be redone for $300. electric a little more.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Electric is the way to go. Like underhood plow pumps, gas engines on spreaders will be a thing of the past.

10. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Maybe......

BTW i was told the reason why under hood plow pumps are a thing of the past is cuz in todays trucks they leave no room to mount a pump.

11. Mackman

from S.E. PA

You are right about redoing the gas for 300. I was just kicking the idea around about a small diesel. Im still going to look into. :nod:

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

If I was buying a new small engine and I wanted the best, I would go Honda. Then never worry about the engine part of that spreader again.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Couldnt agree more with this statement.

Mackman, if your handy at working on gas/diesel motors.....an elec. unit will be a breeze for you.

14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I know guys who have gone thru honda's in a couple years...

I like the diesel idea, if it starts... You could still run the Kohler and just put a angle gearbox on it... but then it all comes down to how much do you want to spend..

15. Mackman

from S.E. PA

This is true. Well i will be getting it cheap. like 500 bucks cheap. So i got some room to spend money. Im sure you can fab something up. I will be doing alot of research on this idea. Please everyone give me your 2cents.

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sure you do!:rolleyes:

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

One problem with the Hondas is that they need to have the fuel shutoff when the engine is not running. They really should include the electric shutoff when installed on a spreader. It's a hundred bucks to add it on afterwards, probably 25 bucks if originally speced out.

18. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Since your truck is diesel as well, you should be able to run a fuel line right off your truck tank, with a disconnect, and a shut off on it for when you remove the sperader from the bed. Then you would never have to get out to fill the spreader engine. That would be pretty easy to do I would think.

19. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

20. keitha

keitha Senior Member

I work on small engines and I have seen thirty year old B&S Snow engines
    (yes these are on snow blowers and get the wet but not as much salt) run flawless.
    Is it the engine thats shot? Do/ get a leak down test to confirm.
    Is it a problem with bad wiring?
    Most small engines with proper maint.including proper storage and
    off season precautions to "preserve" the carburetor/ fuel system
    should typically last the life of a spreader.
    Sta-bil (used according to the directions, more is not better) and Sea- Foam fuel treatment seem to work well for me.
    Thank so much to re formulated eathanol added fuels for the problems they create!!

Keith