1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever do any work for U.S. Maintence

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sunrise154, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Sunrise154

Sunrise154 Junior Member

I have a contact at this company. But I think I remember reading on this site that they had some negative comments

2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

let me guess, they've got a good paying contract that looks pretty attractive, all you've got to do is wait for them to pay you. if you do or dont do anything they like, they've got the property covered because you "hope" you will get paid, so you will do the work and then they end up not paying you. i've seen it over and over and over again in this business. i would stick to knocking on doors yourself where you know the owners/managers yourself. there are going to be a dozen people on here tell you they have a great relationship and a dozen people on here to tell you to go fly a kite. the one thing i know about us main. is in the past, the prices they've offered, you can easily find another place that will pay you better for the work. they tend to price snow removal on the low side.

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

4. Sunrise154

Sunrise154 Junior Member

Thanks for the input. A freind of mine is their accounts manager. But after reading those threads I think I will stick to my accounts. Still had to see though always looking to expand

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search for US Maintenance, Symbiot, SMG, Dentco, Superior Management, area management when you have a couple hours. (I think I missed one or two)

Then you can make your own decision.

6. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

Im going to add to al lof that, I did a few contracts for them last year......Well im still waiting to get paid on one of the contracts ... do your self a favor and dont get your self traped with them.

7. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Hello everyone, Yes i was the one last season who inquired about us maintance because i picked up a new store jst opened in jan. and was under contract with us maint. There was a lot of neg crap on them so iforwarded it to my sales rep. She called me and offffered to overnite me a check to prove they were a good company. I plowed4-5 snows for them last winter and they paid as they said they treated me real well. There paper work was a pain in the ass, you have to call an auto-mated # and give info after each plowing and have a store manager sign a work order for proof you was there, but if you do your paper work correct there is no problem. They set there prices and it was double if i would of plowed by the hour. This lot took me 1.5 hour for plowing and 300 lb. of salt and they paid me 275.00 I normally charge 65.00 hour. I just stumled in here due to lawn site was slow any question contactme bobcatservice33@yahoo.com
    Mike

8. nekos

nekos Senior Member

$275 for 1.5 hours of your own time , your own truck , insurance , salt and taxes ... wow you got riped off.

i make about that much if not more doing residential drives in the morning when im done subbing for snow systems. then again i have a tight rout and can take out 6 - 8 driveways an hour.

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Sorry pal in my area the going price is $50.00 per hour for truck plow, i used 6- 50 lb. bags of salt at 5.00 per bag. I made good money for my area. I raised my prices last year to 60.00 per hour for p/u truck plow i am the highest in my area. If you think this wasent a good deal i would love to plow in your area.
    Mike

10. nekos

nekos Senior Member

sure come on down , im sure snow systems will hire you. they start subs at $65 an hour + $5 raise each year. they also take care of their drivers , it's not uncommon to have a few extra hours added to each check. im sure in the end , you will make more money working for snow systems with less head aches... and you don't have to pay for salt.

anyway
    all im saying is you are going to go broke if you are only making $275 in 1 1/2 hours.
    how much do you make after taxes , gas , salt , insurance , maintenance and all the other good stuff that go's along with running a business. im guessing $40 - $55 an hour, your just deluded by the big $1000 checks and not realizing you don't even keep half of it.

simbot, US maint and all their other company's are jokes. you should come work for snow systems, see how the 2nd largest snow removal company in the US does thing and is still able to pay their sub's.

11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have read Mike33's posts on lawnsite before. He seems to know what he is doing in business. Every local region has different pricing. If he is high in his region and says he is making money, then I say good for him. From what I have read in his posts, he seems to be very knowledgeable in the hardscapes and I think he can figure out if he is making a profit or not. As far as what you are making, good for you. Everyone (well not everyone, there are some idiots out there) but most everyone here seems to know where they need to be profit wise. The post was about US Maint. As far as I am concerned, stay away. Mike33 if you did alright with them that is good for you, just watch your back. They do have lots of loopholes, but you seem to have figured that out already with your paperwork trails. Your pics of some of your retaining walls on lawnsite are impressive, keep up the good work!

12. Mark Oomkes

nekos, I realize there is materials in there, but mike33 was at $183.33\hour, sort of makes your $65\hour not look like a lot. You also need to realize there are huge regional differences in pricing for snow removal and those ranges are from $25\hour to over $250\hour for a truck.

So for you to say he is losing money when you're 700-800 miles away not knowing what his overhead is, not knowing what the cost of living is for western Maryland, not knowing what his market will bear is completely ignorant.

13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

he is NOT making $183 an hour ...

he said he needs 6 bags of salt at $5 each he is now down to $153 an hour.
    he also said in his post that he has paper work to do. let's just say 15 minutes to complete it.
    time for the store manager to sign off saying the work is done. 30 minutes.
    oh Waite most stores are not open at 3AM , guess he has to drive back the next day ... add another 20 minutes.

now his 2 1/2 hour job takes 3 /12 hours complete ... im just doing the math in my head but he is now under $80 an hour. gas, insurance, uncle sam ... lol i think im happy just being a sub :)

sorry to say it but US maint is a joke.
    the people that keep getting fooled by them are bigger jokes.
    and even worse of all, the people that defend these property maint company's in any way then come to these boards to cry about pricing in their area being low and can't figure out why ... they are the worst jokes of all.

kthx bye :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  14. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Thanks everyone for your concerns and opinons . ( hope i spelled that right ) A special thanks to hickslawns for your kind comment on my post in the lawn site. Yes i am a established contractor in my area.
    As we all know every thing is based on location and location. as i stated that is the going rate in our area weather it seems low or high that is w. md. snow removal pricing. The oly guys that are getting $ 100.00 per hour in our area are people putting on there truck for the starte of Md. sub contract with single axle 10 ton or tandems with ther own plow and salt spreader. As far as us maint. it was funny i got a call today from a company called Genisses im not sure of the spelling it sounded like that. They wanted a bid from me for that same lot i plowed last year for us maint. They said they was the managing company this year. Does any one know about them? I do know what you mean by managing companies i got screwed back in winter of 01-02 from Dentco. They actually did not pay me for a snow i plowed, they said it didnt snow in my area. That was the most ignorant thing that as ever happened to me in all the years in business.
    Mike

15. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Also guys , i would actually like a winter in a differnt location if i could get a rate of say 65.00 with out worries. Yes to the one post i did have to drive back and get papers signed, i even told the rep at us maint. i felt like a school kid getting his homework signed. I have over 30 acccounts i service 2 trucks and bobcat of my own and 2-3 sub drivers. It is a worry if someone is going to brake down and let me hanging, and some times i wonder if it is woth it. But i can not landscape from mid. nov-march you have to do something. Thanks again guys.
    Mike

16. Mark Oomkes

You are still comparing apples to oranges. The going rate for plowing is not the same in W MD as in Chicagoland, you can't ignore that. So for you to compare your $65\hour is equal to the $80\hour in MD is ridiculous.

As for defending management companies, you might want to check a few of my posts on this issue.

17. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I was approached from US Maintenance for one of the properties I was plowing for several years. They said they had taken over the account and were getting subs. If I wanted to keep the account I had to do it for 40% less than I was charging in the past. I did not work for them but by doing all the neighboring commercial sites I got to watch and learn how the contractors were getting screwed,three different over last winter, and also the site itself was never done properly.
    Mike, the "going rate" for you working for someone else in MD. should be anywhere from 65-100 per hour depending on experience. Now if you were the one getting the contracts and still getting $50 per hour per truck then you really are way behind the times. Even for maryland.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  18. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

I guess you never been to cumberland, md. then. Im telling you that is the rate im getting 60 and that is very high top dollar. Cumberland is in allegany county just about as far west you can go in md. Now if you to hagerstown 65 miles east in washington county it is the stating of a new ball game. Get closer to baltimore that is 150 miles away and it is probably what you are getting. Keep in mind in our area it is redneck usa a kids first vechicle is a 4x4 with a snow plow on it.
    Mike

19. Mark Oomkes

tjlands, as I stated before, it is impossible and ignorant for one plower to tell another plower what they should be getting per hour in another region. Here in GR, hourly rates go from a low of $55 (that I know for a fact) to $150 per hour per truck. If I go 30 miles west to Holland or just about anywhere along the lakeshore, they drop to $18-$35 per hour per truck. And that's only 30 miles. You're trying to tell someone across the state what they should be getting? This isn't even getting into you have no idea what his overhead, labor and profits are.

Maybe I should tell you that you're in NJ, you should be getting $400 per hour per truck. Never mind that you're operating a '78 Chevy with a 7 1/2' Meyers that only costs you $5\hour to operate and your insurance is only $1\hour, etc. Would that make my point?

20. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Hey I dont mean to offend you guys. I know this business pretty well, I know the snow belt areas, I know prices are lower when it snows almost every day,Western MD. is not one of them. I just have different opinions on this business. For instance I do not believe in plowing per hour. That doesn't mean I am right or wrong. I just think that people that plow per hour are selling themselves short. Its just my opinion.
    For the most part other than insurance, and labor, prices are pretty much the same on everything in NJ or MD, NY or the great lakes areas.