1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone ever change a steering box?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by douglasl330, May 20, 2009.

1. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

2000 S/d with 7.3-- box leaking--is the shaft a PIA to remove?

2. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

The shaft comes rt off. No big deal. The pitman arm probably wont come off the box though. Save yourself some time and by a new pitman arm

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I second the buying a new pitman arm it will save alot of headaches! Otherwise it's not all that bad of a project to accomplish

4. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

so how did you do?

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Buy junk yard parts. Make sure you have no leaks around the shafts you should be cool.
    I did my 1989 F-250's steering box replacement. It should not be much different from your truck. Get the repair manual or go to a bigger library and read the procedure. I wire brushed the threaded end all of the box fasteners. I then sprayed it with PB Blaster / penetrating oil for a few days. I use air tools to break them loose. You need a helper to get the job done. The box is very heavy! My 16 year old son helped me get it done. You just need to have a bit of wrenching skill to do it.

6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

need new box

I changed the pitman arm out two years back so easy off. I pulled the box out-- was going to do a seal kit to it-- the shaft itself is rusty to the seal--I think this is my problem-- threw a lower seal in and we'll see how it works for now--$250 + core for remanufactured. or one with stainless bearings and no core for $300.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I paid $50 for a good steering box out of a truck junk yard. No leaks and a lot tighter then the old one.