1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone ever buff and wax a MM2??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 2tonsoffordfun, Jul 31, 2009.

1. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

Hey guys, I just picked up my used 7'6" minute mount 2 today. Everything is in great shape, including a nice cutting edge, but the factory finish is a little dull. I was thinking about running a buffer over the face of the plow and then coating it with a good paint sealant. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried it or if it is even possible with fisher's paint or powdercoat or whatever they finish it with. I detail cars for a living, so i buff cars daily, I've just never buffed a plow before and I'd like the yellow on my plow to be as shiny as the rest of my truck. Thanks

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Let me be the first to tell you to ...GET A LIFE! :drinkup:

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Timmy said he waxes his plow in summer while thinking of snow.:D

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I waxed my buff back once.

5. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

Thanks 4 all the "help" guys. I guess ill just give it a shot. Ill take pics if it comes out good, and if it doesn't, well, ill just forget we ever spoke of this.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Having fun. It can't hurt and a lot of guys wax there plow on here!

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Can't hurt- it won't come out like a car finish (as it's powder coat, not a clear coat), but might look better than it is now. Most guys just try to battle the rust on their plows let alone waxing them :rolleyes:

But hey, if you have the time to wax your plow, you go right ahead! ussmileyflag

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I used Simonize and an electric buffer on my first new plow. It made it slicker to keep the snow sliding off, but I didn't think it helped enough to keep doing it.

9. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

update- pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I buffed the face of the plow with a light compound followed by a synthetic paste wax applied by hand. I think painting the cuting edge and putting the new logo on really helped. Now it looks 10x better IMO.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Makes it look good for now....that logo will be gone real fast once the snow gets here though! Regardless, good plow choice! =]

12. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

Thanks, and I know the logo isnt long for this world, but for 10 bucks, I'm not going to complain if i have to replace it once a year.

13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Just messing with you man. But seriously now.... consider a hobby to occupy your time.

14. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah painting the cutting edges and cleaning off dirt helps. Now coat it with Fluid film so it wont rust

15. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

Haha, johnny, I actually did this all to my blade on the same day as my hobby- drag racing. And the day after I took the race car to a car show. Actually, playing with my new plow has been a nice change of pace from all the racing and car shows. Bigdave-im ordering my fluid film as soon as I can get on a real computer and off the blackberry.

16. serafii

serafii Senior Member

Apply some clear coat over the fisher sticker. It'll last much much longer. I re did my mm2 in november. Put new stickers and clearcloated them. I do some gravel lots and the sticker is still intact.

17. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

My old 7 1/2' Fisher I bought new in 1996 and it still has the fisher decal on it.I plowed a lot of gravel driveways with it.

18. c&msnowplowing

c&msnowplowing Junior Member

Good luck in making it last, especially if you do a lot of plowing. My powder coat lasted one season and I looked at rust. Spent the following years sanding and painting the plow to keep it looking good. I also waxed the blade only to keep the snow from sticking. Sold that truck and plow last year and upgraded to the extreme V stainless. awsome plow,the snow doesn't stick, and what a difference plowing with a "V". If you can swing the cost, I would recommend the stainless for your next plow. But either way....great choice in plow.