1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Else's new 5500 overheating with snowplow?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by croq, Nov 11, 2008.

1. croq

croq Junior Member

I am wanting to see if anyone else is having the same problem. No mater how I position the plow when I drive on the hwy it will overheat. Dodge is saying it is doing it because I am not following the manual. The manual states that you have to lower the plow and you are not to exceed 40mph. It is illegal to drive under 45mph when conditions permit. So Dodge made a truck that you can't drive legally on the hwy with your plow on?
    Tell me what you think of this?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Does it truly "overheat" or does it just run hotter than normal? My truck's temp goes way up when I'm driving down the highway but it's never been enough for me to get concerned.
  3. croq

croq Junior Member

yes it does overheat.

Driving home after having the plow first installed it pegged the red line. Test driving it now on the hwy I have pulled over just before the red line. It does it no matter how I angle the plow. What temp does yours get to?
  4. Russ's Repair

Russ's Repair Junior Member
    from 02562

does your blade have a snow foil on it? Believe it or not I have found this to help. On my last 3 dodges I have had this happen...never to red line but hotter than usual then with a rubber foil on it it cooled down. I don't know if maybe it helps redirect air over the blade and through the grill or what. The other thing would be to check with the dealer and make shure you have the heavy duty fan clutch. Hope this helps.
  5. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Croq> Please update us when you find out more I also have the 5500. Not good news, I will ask my local dealer but we don't have enough experience with plows here so i see what they say.
  6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

OK, I admit this to be a dumb question but are running with the cold front on?
  7. croq

croq Junior Member

Running a v blade with rubber foil on the top.
    I am in Kansas City. I do not have a cold front for the truck.
    Dealer is fighting with Chrysler on this one. I am trying to see if anyone else is having that problem.
  8. croq

croq Junior Member

I have the Dodge's Heavy Duty Snow Plow Prep Group installed.
    Which looks like all that is just a skid plate and 160 alt.
    One of the bigest problems I see is having 3 other coolers right in front of the radiator and a small radiator to boot.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

airfloil ?

I saw someone pass me the other day on the hiway and they had their plow on. It was on a dodge 2500 but it had this pc of metal and I looked it up online. I think I am going to make one for my plows cause we have the rubber flat also on our blades and they dont let air pass. Check the pic.... maybe you could make on too?
    Maybe I should make 10 and sell them? I drool over the 5500's very nice man

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, but is it overheating? Remember, the gauges are glorified idiot lights. Even though it is showing hot, is it boiling?

Not sure what else to suggest, haven't heard of this issue on Dodges, but it did happen on the Fords the first year or so with the 6.0's.
  11. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

6.7 or 5.9?
  12. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

We just purchased our Dodge 5500 3 weeks ago and drove it home approx 20 miles with the Western 9-1/2' MVP Plus Poly V-plow in the V position and did not have any problems. We also did not have the rubber flap installed yet. This weekend I will test drive it on the highway to see what happens.

(What is your gas milage?)
  13. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

I don't find the mileage that bad i have to do the math and get back to you I'm in canada so km's and expensve taxes on fuel. Here's a pic of a foil on a blizzard.

14. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Sorry didn't see the pic was already posted
  15. croq

croq Junior Member

I have the 6.7 diesel engine.
    Yes it did boil on me the only time I let it peg out.
    What has been the outside temp when you were driving?
    I have an MVP V plow so the air ram wouldn't work.
  16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Are you driving with the plow in the completely raised up position? If yes, lower it, so that more air can get to the grill openings. I can't think of any reason why you are having this problem, as my 2500 Dodge diesel will get a little warm, maybe 210, but nothing like you are seeing. Maybe one of your cooling lines is clogged!

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I would check the clutch fan. Inspect the 5500 vs the 2500/3500 series trucks. Somewhere there must be a differance causing the issue.
  18. RamPainting LLC

You guy's might just need to upgrade to electric fans.
  19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Upgrade to electric? Os far as I know and have seen before, electric fans move less air! They do reduce load on engine though so maybe???
  20. RamPainting LLC

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008