1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else with 5.4 problems?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by hickslawns, Jan 4, 2005.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Please let me know if I am alone on this one. I have a 99 F250SD 4x4 with the 5.4L triton automatic tranny. The truck mainly pulls our lawn mowers, but I plow with it in the winter. We average five 2"+ snows per season. Last year I think it only plowed 4 times and they were easy pushes. The truck has 95k miles. Our first real snow of the year was 14" over 1 1/2 days. The truck started smelling like it was running real rich and idling rough. I took it to a local shop where they replaced 3 coils, and the plugs. It does the same thing. Now it really stinks like gas is dumping but it isn't leaking anywhere. I have had problems with exhaust manifolds warping and breaking studs. Now this is happening and I don't know what to think. My local mechanic thinks it is the valves, so I dropped it off to the dealer where they do these all the time. If we get the snow tomorrow I will jump back in the 1986 Chevy I have and bump my other guys down a truck or maybe throw one in the Bobcat if needed. It isn't a matter of not getting our accounts done, but the fact I bought a newer truck and am having major problems. $500 to remove exhaust manifold, replace studs and gaskets, plane the manifold and put back together. $500 to replace 3 coils and plugs. More expensive breaks than my Chevys. Do I have any other issues to expect? Help me out Ford guys, I drive a 2000 Dodge 4x4 dually quad cab cummins 5sp normally but don't want to put a plow on it. I am seriously looking for a :help: :help: 1998-2003 Chevy 2500hd right now. So this is a 3 part question. First, do I throw in the towel on the Ford Superdoodie by fixing it and selling it? Second, If I keep it, will I keep dumping money into these things? Thirdly, anyone having similar issues? I admit to being a Chevy fan, a cummins fan (but not really a Dodge fan), and not really a Ford fan, but I want to give it a chance. The truck really is pretty nice, with good power for a small v-8. It looks nice, tows nice, and handles a load nice, along with pushing snow like a banshee. Help me out! Phil :help:

2. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

not sure if its a reall problem or not...but my 2002 F-150 FX4 idles kinda ruff at times. It happens either at a red light in gear, or even when in park. It kinda vibrates the whole truck.....RPMs are always at same level, but idle is definetely a bit ruff. I am going to make an appt with the dealer while the truck is still under warranty. I dont think it should be idiling like that

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Did they check any 02 sensors? We've had similar problems on all our gassers and it is usually one or both of these or one of the other million sensors that go bad. These were not Fords, but Dodges that we were having these problems with. We don't own any Ford gas engines.

4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Thanks Ramair2k and Mark for the input. Ramair2k i would highly recommend doing this while under warranty. If there is a problem there, you don't want to pay out if you don't have to. THe dealer has had my truck all day and no word yet. My problem started with a rough idle just like you described, but advanced so rapidly to a worse state I am a bit worried. By the time we drove the truck 10 miles to the dealer it was running as if only on 6 or 7 cylinders and it smelled like someone spilled a gas can in the engine compartment. The exhaust was also extremely hot. Every puddle we hit made the truck steam like crazy behind me. Probably should not have driven the truck.
    Mark I had all the sensors checked. Codes showed 3 bad coilpacks but no sensor problems. I will keep everyone posted in case there are others out there having these problems. In the meantime, I am aggressively pursuing another Chevy truck. Nobody has come up with a reason for me to give the Ford another chance yet, and when the ice and snow comes in tonight I know I can count on my 19 year old Chevy. Phil

5. beverlylawncare

beverlylawncare Member

Hmmm... when it was running rough (just prior to the coil replacements) was the check engine light on? Mine came on last summer (2001 F150 4x4, 7700 package, auto tranny) and was idling rough as well. AutoZone told me it was misfire in cyl. 5. It had 111,000 miles on it, so it was past due for plugs. I took it to the dealer to have them do plugs (mechanic was busy, I looked at back two plugs and said forget it! - dealer was only option left). I told him to put 8 plugs in it and change the #5 coil. I referenced that I had purchased a coil from AutoZone, and the dealer stated "Their junk won't work, maybe for a few months, but it will go bad quickly". Gee, when they called the next morning, guess what brand they put on there? Same as what a.z. sells!
    But I digress... Two months later, little sputter, and engine light comes on again. This time #3.

This last snow we had 2 weeks ago, light came on again, and smelled an odd smell, but it was PO743 (torque converter electrical malfunction) so mines getting a new torque converter and control module. I've seriously contemplated on selling, but the truck is near paid for, and I'm leery on buying something else. Would LOVE a 6.0 Powerstroke, but don't have the $$ and don't want to go in debt horribly. My advice - stick it out, you have no guarantees that a "new" (newer or brand new) truck won't have its problems too.... Once you've spent some cash on it... its hard to let go because you've replaced a lot! Just my thoughts.... Justin

6. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I just made an appt with the dealer for friday. I will let you all know what happens. My Service engine light has not come on at all. I mean just like I said, its a ruff idle. Hopefully they figure out what it is and dont give me the "its a truck, they do that" answer. I have owned 4 cars, and my dad has a couple of trucks. None of them idle rough like this. now dont get me wrong, im not saying that its rough to the point where its shaking your drink in the drink holder, but you can feel it thats for sure. :(

7. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

5.4 issues

I have an '03 250 with 5.4.. Going to the dealer this week. I have a list of 10 items and growing that need looking into. I have noticed when plowing a strange burning smell, and cannot figure it out. I always make sure to stop in neutral with the ebrake on to let the tranny cool during lots, but not sure what it is. Also i have 32k on it and it also seems to idle rough as well. Not sure.going to dealer after the storm that is here now through friday..hopefully they will cover everything.
    I also am replacing the rotors and pads up front. A buddy had his dealer do it under warranty, dealer said rotors are too small for the weight of the truck and it causes warping..anyone else with this problem??

8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. Once again, I am waiting on the dealer today for the diagnosis. I hate taking it to a dealer, but this is just one of those items. There has never been a check engine light on in the truck since I bought it. The torque converter crossed my mind as well. If they don't go into lockup they can drastically affect the performance and disguise themselves as an engine problem. Let's just hope it is something simple being overlooked. As for the rest of you guys, good luck. For the guy looking at the 6.0 diesel, I don't know if I would go that route. My buddy works at the plant that builds that diesel and said he wouldn't buy another one until after they get the bugs out. He bought one 2 years ago and had all sorts of problems, but I don't know if they fixed them or not yet. I would suggest doing some homework before you make that investment. I am not bad mouthing the engine, just letting you know they had some issues when they came out. My brother-in-law has one and has had no problems. Myself, I am a Cummins fan with a 5 speed when it comes to diesel, so I am a little biased. PHil

9. pikrite

pikrite Junior Member

Gotta 04 f250 5.4 had TCM reprogrammed due to rough shift runs great now. The tranny would shake the whole truck but that was only shifting 3-4 pulling mowers. I really think the torque converters are undersized like the old 4r100s (ithink thats the name of the tranny). I also agree with the undersized brakes, (afraid to put a v-box in this truck)

10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Update from dealer visit

Well guys, I don't know if I am in the clear yet or not. I picked up the truck from the dealer, drove it back towards our accounts to salt some lots, and parked it at the first lot with the same gas smells and rough idle. In the meantime, i salted with our 86 Chevy and braved it back home thru major downed power lines and level 3 road conditions. We have been without power the last 2 days but the dealer had power. They towed it and worked on the truck again. So far, they have replaced an injector, the plugs again (contaminated the oil and fouled the plugs with the injector and coil problems), cleaned the egr valve, and removed and reinstalled the 3 coil packs claiming the local (non-dealer) shop installed them incorrectly. I drove it home, and loaded it with salt again and hooked up the plow expecting to use it tonight. Crossing my fingers, and hoping for the best :redbounce If it is like the past 2 days where we have been running the generator between my house and my parents to keep the sump pumps running and fridges cold, I am not looking forward to going out plowing tonight. Hopefully we will have smooth sailing and get some sleep before too long. I will keep you all posted, and hopefully your similar problems all get worked out. Phil

11. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I have an 02' F-250 SD. Toaday I was out pushing snow and started getting "wiffs of gasoline. At first I thought it was the beat up piece of crap in front of me, but as the day went on I kept smelling gas periodically. I have no clue what that could be.
    Another problem I have been noticing is the smell of brakes. I know any truck works hard when plowing, but to smell that often something is definately wrong. Last week my E-brake light came on twice for no reason. I'm pretty sure that the E-brake is not frozen. What's going on here?? Can anyone help??

12. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

HEY Snoluver? I have 49,000 miles on mine....If you get that problem solved let me know too. You and I are in the same boat....Thanx!!

13. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Well, I got my F-150 back . They hooked up the computer to it, and it didnt not spit out any trouble codes. They narrowed it down to dirty fuel injectors, and "cleaned" all of them. GUESS WHAT.....rough idle is stil there... :realmad: I will be taking it back in on friday for an actuator (sp) on my passenger side door and also for the rough idel problem agian. Hopefully this time they will fix it once and for all. doubt that will happen though.

14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Well guys, the truck is back running. Keeping my fingers crossed. The dealer did replace the o2 sensor, plugs, properly installed the coils, changed the oil (contaminated due to bad injector), replaced one injector, and cleaned out the egr valve. There is a funny idle now, but it made it through a wet 6" snow. We finally got power back to most of the towns around us, although many are still without. We plowed the wet 6" snow on top of the ice storm, not much fun. However, it was quite a test for the truck. The truck idles fine, but every now and then it idles up for about 5 seconds, and then settles back down. It does this whether the defrost is on or not ( I thought maybe A/C compressor needed charged and was idling it up when on defrost but it also does it when not on defrost). I don't know what fixed it guys, but the strong gas smell had to be the bad injector which contaminated the oil and fouled the plugs. The truck did the same thing after all the replacements, and cleaning the egr valve made it stop.!? I don't know what to think, but I am still looking for another newer Chevy. I don't trust that Ford to make it for the longhaul without tons more problems. I would park it and drive the Bobcat, but we plow the superwalmart and need more groundspeed to get it done in reasonable time. The skidloader plowing is sweet on the small lots though! Good luck with your 5.4 problems. I will continue updating any changes in my truck status which may help you solve your problems. Phil

15. pikrite

pikrite Junior Member

Hey Snoluvr I called the local dealership about my rotors being warrantied and they declined saying it was normal "wear and tear" on a work truck (meaning different inexperienced drivers I guess) Is their any service bulletins on this? Any help is appreciated. (The rotors aren't real bad but I would like to repair them before the truck goes back into service)

16. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

My dealer declined to cover the items as well..Told me my buddies were covered for "other" reasons..whatever that means.I put on new rotors and pads last night, whole job took less than 2 hours, and under $200..from advance autoparts..good thing to, the driver side rotor was completely brown and black like it was burned and the inside pad was in 4 pieces..Truck brakes like a dream now.All i know is next truck will be a dodge!!!

17. charlieg

charlieg Junior Member

ford trucks

please do not give up on the ford truck just because you have had some problems,the new c.o.p. engines. all are haveing problems with the coil packs failing even volkswagen and dodge, when one or more fail they normally cause the mil to light up and blink. when one or more fail they can cause a o2 senser to fail and even cause the cat. convertor to fail by pluging them up. and the exhaust stinks bad. in most cases the local gas station will not have the needed resources to make a good repair. some do but i have found many don't
    brakes again the rotors warp like crazy on every car and truck with time this is a problem due to the componds now used in the pads since we no longer use asbestos in them, these are made of a fine metal powder and even garphite, the extra heat causes many more problems then the old days
    the ford ??'s you have can be answered by going to the web site www.ford-trucks.com and making a post in the general truck or superduty sections, membership is free or 16 dollars a year if you wish to support the site. don't give them up give them a chance.

18. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Charlieg,
    Thanks for the pep talk. I am admitedly a Chevy man, but have been really trying to give this Ford an unbiased chance to prove itself. I wasn't having brake problems like some of the other replies on this thread. I will bring up the fact that my wife's 01 Blazer had rotors rot away and it is a garaged vehicle with under 40,000 miles. The rotors simply rusted and the smooth surface flaked right off. We have had a lot of bad rotor issues with my Ram3500, my older 73-87 chevy's, and pretty much every vehicle we own. The Blazer rotors were factory rotors and that was disappointing. The other trucks had replacement rotors from different auto parts stores and fall apart. My wife's 99 Cutlass (work car) had the rotors warp too, and I blamed her for getting on them too hard. Later apologized after seeing this with many replacement rotors. They just don't make a good rotor anymore.
    As for my Superduty. . .I am going to keep using it for awhile to see if this was a freak incident. It is in the shop again for bad axle bearings. Squeeled like a pig in 4x4. They are being replaced now, and I will be back in the 19 year old Chevy to make my rounds tonight salting. I might take out my Bobcat to plow just because we haven't used the plow on it yet this year. I always like to know things are ready to work before they are needed in a big snow event.
    As for the guys with similar rough idle problems/strong gas smell. The dealer found this: one bad injector, bad coil packs (improperly installed by my wannabe mechanic), a bad o2 sensor, and a plugged egr valve. Also the fouled plugs, and contaminated oil, due to unburnt fuel running thru the system, which was more a result of the other problems than a fault in their own.
    Hopefully all those in Superduty country get their bugs worked out, make some money playing in the snow, and don't get stranded. Good luck, and I will chime in here again if I have anymore problems. However, don't be surprised to see another Superduty for sale if I do have more problems! Hope I didn't offend anyone. Phil

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Stuff wears out,sensors fail it's a fact of life. We do work the trucks hard so your going to have stuff die more then a daily driver vehicle would have.

20. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

took truck back in to have door actuator replaced. Also told them that the truck is still having a bit of a rough idle. They couldnt find anything. No codes were spit out....couldnt find any TSBs or recalls....its almost like i want to go there and give them a list of things to check.....like a list of things that you guys have mentioned......Basically they left it off at we cant figure it out, come back to us if it gets any worse