1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else on here deal with chemlabs for salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gman2310, Feb 17, 2015.

1. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

I know I posted something in another thread about inconsistency, but once again I got another load from Chemlabs and this is what this load looks like. I am probably going to lose about 6 tons of salt from this load. Does anyone else on here deal with them and have been having problems like this? I plan on calling them in the morning to resolve this. Think its about time to switch back to OceanPort.

load of salt.jpg

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Holy Chunky Salt Saltman. :D Wonder what would happen if you sprayed it with some calcium chloride. Looks just like it does after a deep freeze.
  3. imelticeandsnow

imelticeandsnow Junior Member

Please keep in mind that salt freezes when the temperature is this low. It has not been this cold for an extended period of time in years. Once the temperature starts to go below 20 degrees for days salt is going to freeze
    Chem Labs has kept you and other people supplied when all of the other companies have ran out of salt or cut people off. Before you go onto plow site and talk bad about the company keep in mind.. If it wasn't for chem labs keeping you supplied at a reasonable price.. You would be out in the cold or paying a high premium for salt. No salt company is perfect 100% of the time. It's impossible. There are so many factors that go into it that are out of your control.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's not that bad.

If salt is in short supply, you better be happy with what you can get.
  5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Just curious.....how much $ a ton is t being sold for ?

I would say it is better than wet.

Foreign salt ???
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. While I hate any lumps there's no way your going to lose 6 Tons from lumps. We have never lost any salt due to lumps as we just spread it out and drive over it. Those lumps due look pretty darn hard though.
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The second and third pics look like the salt was never ground up enough to begin with. That doesn't look like it froze to me.

The big pieces in the first one aren't that bad. Skid steer can break those up pretty easily.

Be happy you've even got salt.
  8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Where did he talk badly????????
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I'm with you. Some is frozen together but those pictured chunks are just not ground up. That is some crappy looking salt though. If you're in the salt business, delivery a quality load, nobody wants to get that delivered to them. Yes, he can drive over it and break it up, but why should he have to?
  10. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

Those pics are two different loads. The golf ball size rocks are one load, obviously a milling problem. The load which is that large pile is alot of huge chunks. Never had a lod like that before, been doing it ten years. Salt is not hard to get around here right now. I should not have to take a machine and break up chunks. We keep are salt in a bin with a roof over it so it stays dry and free of clumps
  11. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

First pictures those chunks will break up easy enough when temps rise...

Second picture is The Foreign Crap.....Have PLENTY of Experience with that stuff this year....:gunsfiring:
  12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You're in fantasy land or you have miracle salt if you have never had a single clump to deal with.

Salt draws moisture. Moisture freezes. Clumps come from moisture being drawn and freezing. Nature of the beast.

Get over the frozen clumps, break them up with a skid steer and move on.

On the other hand, the second 2 pictures I feel you have a legit complaint about. That's not frozen salt, it's poor processing.
  13. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Those solid chunks are bad..no different than rocks. Those passed through a hole in the screen.

They clog up ports and put holes in windshields.
  14. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

Heres a pic of a load of salt delivered today from Ocean Port, the way it SHOULD look when it gets delivered. I understand dealing with SOME clumps, but it should not come off the truck looking like that.

15. jerzeyguy

jerzeyguy Junior Member
    from 07080

The salt in the photo that's the Chilean salt
    That's the best out there you get what you pay for
  16. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope that salt is on some type of hard surface and not just the ground.
  17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

What's a little mud chumps going to hurt?
  18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Not much pat but the groundwater that pile will contaminate will not like it.
  19. Defcon 5

20. Defcon 5

Ya......Its on a Hard surface.......Frozen Mud...........:laughing: