1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else notice this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by riverwalkland, Mar 10, 2008.

1. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

Maybe its just my area, but I have noticed more and more of this... I keep seeing plow guys who think they are ambulance drivers or somthing. I have seen several people running stop signs, or just coming to a stop at a red light and then driving through it. I also see people driving the wrong way down one way streets, and stopping traffic for no reason. If traffic is light, I wait for cars to go by, then I pull out. I don't just back out into traffic and bring people to a halt.. seems dangerous to me. For whatever reason, some of the local plow guys must think their little orange light is like a blue and red one... last time I checked it was not. Anyone else ever see this?

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

i do it all the time.

3. riverwalkland

Do you figure cops just don't care, or do you not care about a ticket or running into someone?

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same here. It's call the Midnight rule do what ever you need to do to get done.Even if it's in the middle of the afternoon!

5. riverwalkland

haha, i like that rule, but I wouldn't want a ticket, don't think my insurance company likes tickets either

6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

What red light?

7. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

my truck has blue/clear strobes in the windshield and deck(FD). plus my amber. i pull out turn everylight on to stop oncoming traffic when i am facing the wrong way opening entrances durning rush hour. i do what i have to do to get my job done and stay safe.

8. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Up here in Canada, we even get the police to run their lights for us. We're allowed great latitude in our conduct in traffic. Their is no rule we can't bend to clear the snow... :redbounce

:rolleyes:

9. Curbside

Curbside Junior Member
    from Canada

Duracutter not sure what part of Canada your in but this part you'll get a ticket for sure.

10. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yep, guilt come write me a ticket. I don't see the point waiting for a light to change at 2:00 am when I stop look left and right and can't see anyone for a mile. Don't you know it makes it green? Wrong way on an entrance? You bet less likely to back into some JA that pulls right in behind you. I do this any time of the day, actually I think it is safer. You can see them and they usually wait the two seconds for me when they see a 1 ton dually with a 10' blade coming there way! As far as backing out into traffic I will wait.

11. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Man! I must be the minority here!
    Always stop for traffic when backing out.(the crazy SOB's around here WILL hit you!) Will stop for a light-if its in the middle of the nite. But will look ALOT for cops "lurking" and go ahead if there's no traffic. The law don't care about what time it is -they'll still give ya a ticket!
    One way streets always correct.

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I think many of us are in the same boat -- we won't blow through traffic lights as though they weren't there; we stop, look both ways, and proceed through. Anywhere between 11p & about 5:30am I'll use the "midnight green" theory, though more adapted to a midnight yield.

13. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Yeah I guess I go by the midnight yield theory too. As for cops lurking, I guess they don't do that much here. Weeman, I would be careful with the blue light if not on a call. I saw a guy throw on the lights when leaving a firemans carnival on parade night, and got pulled over. That couldn't have ended well, since following the parades most guys are found at the beer tent:drinkup:

14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I do the same thing, Will srtop and look both ways then go thru a red light.

We got 1 oneway road in town, and I have gone the wrong way a few times at 3am LOL

I think they should pass a law giving snow plow guys some right aways lol

15. santelikk

santelikk Member

I cant remember even seeing a cop out when its snowing, unless responding to a accident/car in a ditch. our town kinda shuts down except for all the plow trucks, and midnight red/yeidld is the rule here.

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thats funny, they specifically told us the cops would be out on patrol throughout the storm looking for stranded motorists. They have 4x4 Tahoe's and Excursions.

Its pretty rare I'll run a light (ONLY after a stop and looksie around). Backing out into close traffic is ignorant and dangerous.

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sometimes you "just gotta do what ys gotta do" to get the jobs done.

18. crabbybob

crabbybob Junior Member
    from 01440

I haven't seen anyone run a light or a sign but I have been amazed at how thoughtlessly some plow drivers speed down snow packed roads like they could care less about anyone else's loved ones.

19. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If we ever got cought doing that we'd lose our postion on the fd.

I personally, don't want the ticket, so I'd rather wait for the green than go thru the red. Also the cops here get really bored at night when it is snowing so they look for us to do something stupid because were the only ones on the road. And usually when they stop us it is for something stupid, like going 5 over the speed limit or somthing, not using a Michigan turn around and cutting thru where the cross traffic goes thru.

20. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

for the guy who said he never see's anybody running lights or sign's well thats the point. u look around and make sure there is nobody around first. then u go if there's people u just chillax