1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else having numerous breakdowns w/their blizzard power plow?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by TKRCROSS, Feb 15, 2010.

1. TKRCROSS

TKRCROSS Junior Member

I bought a Blizzard 810 Power Plow in Oct 2008 w/a 2 yr warranty which states: Blizzard warrants to each purchaser of a BLIZZARD snowplow for other than personal, family or household use that the snowplow will, for a period of two (2) years after the date of original purchase, be free from defects in material and workmanship. I paid $7,000 for this plow because the salesman at Histand's Truck & Equipment assured me it was the most advanced and versatile plow on the market. The salesman (the owner's son), was a very personable guy during the sale of this plow, but has done a 360 since the first time I brought it in for repair.

Since the 1st snow storm I used my plow and every storm thereafter, it's broken down. While plowing a customer's lot, I lost all power to the plow. Instead of going on to my next customer, I had to drive 50 miles back to the dealer for repair assuming it was under warranty. The dealer informed me I somehow caused the electrical malfunction and the repair was not covered under the warranty. He said he wouldn't release my truck to me unless I paid up. There was no mention I'd be reimbursed by Blizzard if I contacted them (I thought that was his job!). Three hours and $365 later, I finally finished my route.

The next day, I contacted Blizzard Snowplows directly inquiring why the dealer charged me for the repair. Seems pretty self-explanatory to me! Little did I know that the dealer gets to decide what they will cover under the warranty...WHICH IS NOTHING!!I

Blizzard Snowplows informed me the dealer should have covered this repair. They cut the dealer a check and the dealer reimbursed us. I have never heard of such practice! When my GMC needs repairs,I never pay a dime upfront. I go on my merry way w/a $0 balance.

Two days ago, my plow broke down again while plowing a customer, This time, it was the blade. Again, the dealer would not cover the repair under the warranty. I insisted he provide me a list of what IS covered. He called Blizzard and they advised him if the blade broke at the bolt it WAS covered.

Well I left having to pay anyway; I was furious and put up quite a stink!! The salesman said I either pay or he, again, would not release my truck to me. He told me not to come back to his shop. He said if Blizzard pays him after he submits the warranty paperwork, he'll reimburse us. Is it me, or is this totally unprofessional business practice?

This dealer has continued this practice each and every time I bring my plow in for repair. I'm beginning to think that they're "double-dipping" (billing customers for warranty work, then submitting the bill to Blizzard and pocketing the money for themselves).

I think I got a lemon. Everytime it snows, I'm walking on eggshells hoping and praying this plow won't break down on me; but it always does. I've lost so much time and money getting this plow repaired. I've paid for two electrical malfunctions, burn-out light bulbs (that was the 2nd snow storm), fluid spewing from the plow on several occasions now, power wing seized up and now, today, it won't engage into the power hitch...which means I cannot mount it to my truck. We're expecting another snowstorm tonight and I may not be able to use the plow because the dealer instructed me not to come back to his shop! My hands are tied.

QUESTION: Has anyone else had so many problems w/their Blizzard Power Plow or is it just mine?

2. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

Sorry you have had all these issues I had an older Blizzard and never had any issues that were not caused by me. I just purchased a new 8100 and had one minor issue nothing to bad.

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Your dealer is at fault here.

You may have got a lemon, but no matter what, you need a new dealer. That is absolute bs the way they are treating you. I don't love my dealer, but they treat me a 100 times better then that. I guess I should really appreciate them more! Send a letter into Blizzard again detailing all that you have gone through, your extra costs, lost revenue, and see what happens.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I installed one of these on a truck and the first snow, he went out for a few hours and the plow quit. It took a little while, but it was found to be the ground connection to the motor was no good causing the plow to stop working.

The only reason that I refuse to go to a v-plow or a scoop plow on my stuff is becasue I am always scared that the more parts that can break... will break. Many guys will say that they have never had a problem, that would not be my luck.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I second the need for a new dealer. In the mean time, this is the only useful advice I can give you:

Your New Best Friend

6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I see you are pointing him to Jerre. I have to say the time you get to hang out at Jerres is priceless. I have been known to take a nap in the back room in that big old chair, and of course we always have a pizza. Take Johhnys advise and plan a road trip to Erie or at least pick up the phone and give Jerre a call.

Good Luck Mike

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

TKR,

Sorry to hear about you issues. I will say that you are not the only one to have issues with Histands. It's a shame when they were a Kubota/GMC dealer they were a good place to do business, but not anymore. His prices are way high and the install jobs he performs suck to no end. I too would advise a trip to Erie. Jerre knows how to install these plows so there are no issues.

That being said plow warranties are useless so get used to it. It's also a good idea for any plow jockey to have a good knowledge of his plow and how things work incase of a breakdown. In the off season take a ride to Erie, get the "Special" job done to your blade and talk it up a bit to learn the ins and outs of your plow and trust me you won't ever have another problem again! Or at least you'll never have to deal with the Histands.

8. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

we have 4 8-10's. we have had great luck with them. sounds like your dealer sucks, and maybe you got one that was built on a monday.

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we have an 810 and since purchase it has:

-cracked welds on both side of the A frame where it meets the center beam
    -some electrical issue that required us to disassemble the power hitch to get it off the truck and onto a trailer
    -right side wing wont retract properly sometimes, will stay in scoop position till halfway through retraction, or sometimes it just stay forward even when in 8' mode
    -pinched o ring between pump and manifold that burst and lost all fluid requiring us to shortchain it and take it home

we seem to have all the bugs worked out now, although the oring just happened on saturday. we love the plow on our commercials, though it is a far cry from the quality of our BOSS V plows.

our dealer has also pulled that ******** on us about not under warranty which is why i refuse to take it to him anymore. i am stealing some of his accounts as he also does commercial snow removal just to spite him. we will be taking our plow to jerre this summer for an erie special conversion.

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What was the build date of your 810? The OP has an 8100, so can completely understand the quality issues. I'm willing to bet yours was built after 2007, wasn't it?

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Johnny, the 8100 wasn't out in Oct 08. He must have an 810 unless his date is wrong.

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

You're right. Somewhere I was certain I read 8100. Either way, it's a DDizzard, so the quality doesn't surprise me in the least. As for ProTouch, I still bet his was manufactured after 2007. The weld issues didn't seem to have surfaced until the "advancements" DD applied to them.
    :laughing:

13. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

im pretty sure we bought it in fall of 07, maybe? gotta check on that.

but im sure its a wonderful DD product b/c when we were fixing that o ring i saw a sticker on the motor and saw Douglas Dynamics printed on it. We are still lucky b/c our plow still isnt as bad as the 8100's!!