1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have trouble sleeping when a storm is due?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Maleko, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Even if its only a few inches. I just cant sleep. I can be totally ready, salt loaded plow on etc.. and I'm always watching radar, watching news for forecast , yep its the same as the last forecast :laughing:
    Even if i know its gonna be a big one or just a dusting i think i secretly love it getting myself all amped up.
    Ill check my alarm a dozen times , yep its still set.

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

You are certainly NOT alone!! Depending on the timing of a storm, sometimes I don't get any sleep leading up to it. It's really irritating too!!

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I couldn't sleep before this last "storm" last night. I slept for maybe an hour before my alarm went off, then it went off every hour after that so I could check for snow..... the snow that never came :dizzy:

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Anything under a 2 ft of snow ,I don't bother worrying .

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Use to not any more now I have the crews down to how long it takes I wake up if I see snow I make the calls if not back to bed and let my guys sleep
    I don't know what changed but now I don't worry or not sleep
    I still watch the weather ever 2 minutes but bed time is bed time
    Problaly that the weather man are always wrong I don't believe them any more I trust my eyes not the local news

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Soild sleep this year in Chicago

7. vlc

vlc Senior Member

It's the same thing for me, Maleko. I'll end up only getting about an hour of sleep, but I don't feel tired at all while plowing. Except when I'm done with my route. That's when I crash on the couch!

8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I feel the same way, It's amazing how my body wakes me up every two hours when it suppose to snow. No alarm needed.

9. Deut2210a

Deut2210a Member

what old dog said

But I am waiting for that first snow of the year like a kid waits for Christmas! I try to keep my costs under control, sit tight, still be ready and leave the weather to the Lord.

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll set my radio alarm, then set my cell phone alarm for about 20 min after the radio is gonna go off.

I usually wake up just before the first alarm goes off. " It's like I know when to wake up" - sub conscience working overtime?? :sleeping:

11. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

My worst time is post-storm...I sleep awful, always thinking my phone will ring, customer calling because they moved their car and want me to come back, or wondering if I can come back because their neighbor needs plowing, or my favorite "you didn't leave a bill." These are all great reasons to call...LATER. And that neighbor, should've asked while I was there...because after 24 or more hours, I've fullfilled all my obligations, extras can wait until I get my rest.

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Kind of like when you go to bed and your bedroom is dark and then you wake up and its bright inside because of the snow outside.

13. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah, I don't sleep well anyways but when I know it's going to storm I don't even try to get any sleep. After I double check the trucks and equipment I retire to my office and do paperwork until there's enough snow to go out.

14. lucky921

lucky921 Senior Member
    from dracut

yep i have hard time sleeping wondering when call coming or when to call my guy it crazy

15. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

a little bit yeah.

I like to start as soon as its done snowing so I never really know when to get up. I do know how long it takes me to get through my route and where I need to be first and what not but trying to predict mother nature is a pain in ass.

16. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I used to have the hardest time falling asleep in bed. Now I shower and sleep on the couch. I will leave the weather channel local radar on and leave the outside lights on. This works well for me. Its never difficult to get up. I don't have the anxiety. I feel more at the ready with no chance of accidentally over sleeping.

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I go to bed at 9 PM toss and turn till 11 PM wake up at 1 AM, 1:30, 2:00 2:30 get up and turn off the alarm (set for 3 AM) plow 1/2 inch of snow cause its better than waking up every 1/2 hour.

18. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Hey, that's me. Worse when it's been a light winter cause I know any misstep may mean no contract next year. With a good consistent winter not so bad. This winter has been lacking. So the early season client assessment has not gone away. Folks can still be unreasonable with their expectations. Barely slept last night as I was ready for 6"plus then storm went to sea and we got a dusting.. Salted all accts at 5am and went home and slept for a few. We need an 18-20" storm here. When that happens, that is what clients remember, it really takes the heat off as long as performance was good for the large event. Then it's all gravy after that. Hey, I feel your pain. It's stressful before it has to be in that scenario.

19. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

I can't sleep during storms either. Too excited thinking of all the money to be made. Trying to plan it perfectly to have things opened when they leave for work, coming into work, or getting home for the night. My least favorite too is the people that call hours after I was there because they couldn't come move their damn car. Or like stated above, neighbor needs plowing. Or the random customer calls that couldn't have called during the storm to ask to be plowed or call at the end of the storm not hours later! But they're all right on top of the phone when they aren't plowed because they haven't paid their bill!!! Pisses me off with that kinda crap!

20. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

If I waited for it to stop snowing I would be out of business.
    You must only do residentials
    I see half an inch and time for action