1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone else have tranny problems in there silverado?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bigearl, Jan 2, 2009.

1. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

The transmission in my 06 3500 with 59000 miles on it has been cooked.:yow!: Has anyone else had this problem with there chevy's? I guess I dont understand why a transmission with less than 60 thousand on it has burnt up the trans. I am not knocking the product I just dont understand, probably because I now have to scramble during the the busiest winter in a long time. Just looking for guidance to see if this has happened to anyone else?

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I had a company truck, GMC 2500 a few years back that cooked the tranny at about 17,000 miles. I was driving along making sales calls out west and all of a sudden the truck made a clunk noise. I pulled into a GM dealer and they determined that the torque convertor was going out but unfortunately they did not have a qualified mechanic there (really small town in Montana) that could work on the truck.

The dealer suggested that I try and make it to the next town, 40+ miles away as they did have mechanics that could deal with the situation. When I pulled into this dealer's lot the truck died.

They pulled the tranny cover off and the unit was cooked. A week plus later I got the truck back with the new convertor and tranny.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Gasser with 6L90 or whatever? I've heard of a few that where smoking the converters. One was is a buddys Denalli and the other 2 were in pickups

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks Earl. Our 98 GMC thta we sold Cet still had the original tranny with 170k and it plowed and got coffee since new.

5. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

It does suck. Luckaly there is a good bunch of guys around me that are helping me out until I get my truck back. I will get the truck back tuesday afternoon or wednesday morning.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Feels like a year I bet.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

sorry to hear about that

BB would be the man to ask ?

8. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Thanks It is mthe firdt time that something has brake on me in the winter and of course there is snow in the forecast everyday till wednesday

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

sounds like my whole winter so fare

10. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

A very common low-cost repair is the ‘94 and newer GMC and Chevrolet trucks. The symptoms include a loss of torque converter lockup and may be noticed as over-revving when on the highway. If scanned, a code #1870 is usually present. The problem with the Chevy truck is not in the electronics but in the transmission control mechanism, known as the valve body. It is a hydraulic problem. The affected components can be replaced without removing the transmission.

11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I had one go last summer in a 03 2500HD gasser i was driving. Stopped at a red light with the mowing trailer light turned green hit the gas and BANG. This truck had about 50,000 miles.

12. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

OK I just got off the phone with the extended warranty company. They are telling me that because I added on to the truck ( dump box,plow , salter and the lettering on the side of the truck ) I know the f-ing lettering . that my transmission isnt covered.:realmad: Ok I would understand if it was a 1/2 ton but is not it is a 1 ton work truck with the plow prep package. So I payed for the extended warranty that has less meaning than the paper hanging in the bathroom. :redbounce So now I have to pay to replace the tranny. Who do I be mad at: myself for not getting out my microscope and reading the fine print, or the dealership for selling me a worthless warranty when they knew full well what the hell I did for a living. When I pulled into the gd dealership withe my old truck towing my stumpmachine. Sorry for the rant and bad sentence structure. I am PISSED and feel like choking the sob that sold me that pos warranty.:yow!:

13. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

My 2001 Chevy 3500 Tranny went out last year in the biggest snow storm we've had hear in years, only had about 70000 miles on it .

14. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

here is another kick in the tenders the brand new trans is BACKORDERED in pa and have to ship it out of FLA. I love stress I really do :yow!:

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

hey , do you not have a rebuild shop? id hate to wait for a back order

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

Hey , hmmm, seems i have told like 100s of ppl on this site, that exact same information.... so for all those that say i have a warrenty of any kind, and you HAVE A SNOW PLOW...... here is the proff .....and iv done it with all 3 big truck manufac.... even just the basic 35k warrenty

Earl, If you call another dealership, they might cover it... im really not sure... But i have heard about guys that get turned down at one place and go to the next with no problem. in addition, that they sold you a warrenty knowing the intetions of your use, and had a snow plow prep package on it.... that if they dont cover it , they can hear from your attorny.
    unlesss it SPECFICLY SATES IN THE EXT WARRENTY, no snow plows...lettering....

17. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Which warranty company?

18. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Also is it a diesel or gasser. When was it purchased? GM went to the 100,000 mile powertrain in late 06.

19. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Does the truck have the proper size tranny cooler for plowing?

20. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I am pretty sure all of ours have been covered under warrenty all have plows and company lettering. Try another chevy dealer. Unless they already have your truck all torn apart.