1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have a plow on a Suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KSWART, Dec 18, 2004.

KSWART Member

I just put a Western 7 1/2 Pro on my 95 Suburban and was wondering if anyone else has any experiance with Suburban plowing. I played with it the other night in about 4 inches but so far we've been lucky in Buffalo and haven't had much snow yet. I'm just wondering how it will do in deep snow. It is a 350 automatic.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Most 4x4 suburbans are tanks in the snow with or without plow. Especaily the 3/4 ton ones.

POWERBAND Member

Have owned 4 Sub's from my first '65 but never 4WD. I have always plowed with K20 or K10 P/U's. I was wondering what it'd be like if you are used to a P/U plow truck. My current 'burban has posi-rear and will go-in-snow almost as well as a 4WD up to a point but the rearward visibility frankly sucks when it's icy and nasty. I know the plow pro's often have utility bodies or spreaders eliminating rear view anyway but I would miss the visibility a P/U offers. .
    Of course with the price of the newer 'Burbs reaching mortgage levels I don't think most people would be willing to use them as a plow truck other than for personal drives.

PB :cool:
  4. GreatPlains

GreatPlains Junior Member

I am on my 6th Suburban/Yukon XL over a period of years. This will be my first to have a plow installed.

I will have my Western 7' 6" STd. Poly installed tomorrow (Tuesday) on my Yukon XL 3/4 ton 4WD and 8.1L engine. I just put new Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires on. Now if we just had some snow.........

I use my 'burbs like trucks. I haul everything from family (wife + 5 kids), to deer during hunting season, lumber, you name it. I also pull travel trailers with it. That's why I got the big block engine. It is a work truck for me. When I don't have all the kids I'll probably get a 4 dr pickup.

We live in the country and I am sick of plowing on a mid-sized tractor with no cab. I'll do my lane and possibly a couple others in the area. No commercial work.

I'll report back when we finally get some snow. I fully expect it to be a plowing machine, though. Plus I believe the turning radius on the newer 'burbs is much better than the long pickups.

Years ago I plowed with and International Harvester Scout with a pto hydraulic pump and live hyraulics in the cab. What a pain that was. I was fixing hoses all the time!

KSWART Member

I've plowed about 12 driveways so far with mine and 1 parking lot. The most snow so far has been 5 inches. It plows great only problem is like was mentioned before there is little to no visability out the back. But it plows like a true beast :) And with the plow on the front you are the biggest thing on the road. So why do those damn little cars keep cutting me off? 9000lbs of me vs 3000lbs of them.... Looks like they would be smarter than that.
  6. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

Hey great plains, let me know how you like those a/t revos just put a set on my tahoe, i love them! Alot of guys out here be me run sub. they do alot of bigger lots. i like my tahoe its a 2 door just the same as a 4 door (little bigger) GOOD LUCK :)
  7. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I love my suburban for plowing. Yes, it is tough to see out back, especially with tinted windows, but i have tailgate model and I roll the window down. Window down, heater cranked, and only other window open is the vent cause I smoke. I think the covered back end helps a little with traction.?

8. akayii

akayii Junior Member

88 suburban 4x4

my friend has a monster he plows with...I will try to get him to put a pic on here. He can move almost anything in front of him and i've never heard of it getting stuck...says he does have to run with the back window down though