1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else getting fishing calls?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hickslawns, Oct 9, 2008.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Got 2 phone calls this week regarding pricing. Didn't want to give an address or details. Talked them in circles without giving any info. Yeah, I have watched the debates so I thought I would try it too. Blah blah blah, never answered their questions. I am not in business to give my pricing out to my competition over the phone in 30 seconds. Am I alone or are there others getting those calls now too? Also got calls from 3 people wanting to sub in the last 2 weeks. Go fish, it is the next guy in the Yellow Pages turn to give out info. Not me.:dizzy:
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

gotten a few in the past...i would also watch how much info you post on this site... many ppl watching
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I get them all the time-tell them I would be glad to meet to discuss pricing. Call sometimes ends there.
  4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I had a guy asking for our website, he said he had a big property and was just doing reseach... our website is under construction and I told him that and asked if I could answer any questions over the phone, no no, it's ok. I will be in touch...

I don't get people that waste their time and mine.
  5. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Because my video phone is always broken, I get all THEIR info b4 I quote on the phone and verbal quotes are only given for basic resi's. But verbal quotes are always followed up with a written one. If you get none of their info prior to hanging up ,YOU are unable to do follow up calls.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I got a "fishing" call but it was to tell me the "fish" were biting....:D
    Seriously tho.....when people call for a quote I tell them I have to see the account in person before I give out a price.
  7. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

just politely say i cant give you a quote with out seeing a job if they cant give u a job no quote and if it is another contractor calling to try to under cut you throw him some crazy high number.
  8. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Great service,good price= more clients; and a majority come from referrals.
    but much agreed...let one of our reps meet you.
  9. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Its a pain, but I put all the area carpet cleaner's phone numbers in my phone. So when or if they call, I know its them.
  10. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

so whats your prices?payup
  11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Doesn't happen much for snow, does happen a lot for field mowing (bush hogging if you will)

Gas is simply too expensive to drive out to look at a place, I can quote over the phone (it takes X amount of time to mow so many acres, and that really doesn't change, add so much for how far away it is and I'm rarely off much). It saves real customers time and it saves me money

You can always tell who they are, "well how many acres?" "well, uh, let's say 5"

Clearly they don't have a clue, you know they don't have plates (tractors need EXPENSIVE plates here), insurance, etc

Let 'em do it cheaper, they won't be around for long. One tire going over a rebar puts guys like those out of business. Nothing like doing a job for $100 (and I don't BTW) and ruining an $800 tire. That's the end of their business.
  12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Scott's- If you have to ask, then you can't afford it. lol

I appreciate the input from all. I am not worried about how to handle them. Just curious if I was the only one getting them recently.

elite- You are right about what is put on here. There are many people watching and listening. Some spewing out ridiculous info others offering good advice. Some must just like to type.
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Quote of the day. :nod:
  14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

well rule of thumb is for me.

If the number calling is "private" or unavailable, usually i just wont answer or if i do and they ask ANYTHING about price, i just hang up or tell them we'll come out and look.

This happens to the T in jersey, not often but when it does you can spot it easy.
  15. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Gone Fishing

16. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

I don't have a problem with it. Better to keep the prices up than to have guys who don't know what they are doing undercutting everyone.

There's a guy advertizing in my local paper with prices way too cheap. I'm going to call and have a talk with him. His stupid ad could do a lot of damage to everyone else's pricing, even if they don't go with him they may use his ad as a guide to what snow plowing should cost.

He may be new to the business and nobody will steer him in the right direction.

If someone wants to figure out your pricing, sooner or later they will. I know I always do.

Why not share that information and try to keep the prices up instead of everyone trying to undercut everyone else. It will kill this business in the end.
  17. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Tell them $500 and they just shup up and go away. Its not worth the conversation.
  18. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Its true gas is too expensive to waste, but the fact is people lie, they dont know what they have and they mis-represent the detail 100% of the time. They always say "I have a small area" thinking that = cheap. They never tell you about obstacles, they never tell you about cars in the way, and they always pretend that they have other people lined up thinking that they can pressure you into a quick or cheap price.

I find that everytime Ive estimated over the phone, I get screwed. Now if they're that pushy to start on it...I tell them a huge range because they just dry up and blow away anyway.

Went to a ladys house yesterday---when I got there, I found another companies pesticide flag there.....think she was gonna tell me that over the phone?? Not a chance!
  19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Totally agree, we post our prices on the Internet mid Sept. They are going to find out anyways. This way they know the going rate, instead of guessing to low. You cant stop guys from low balling, but at least this way its an informed low ball price.
    This seasons price is 300 for a 2 car wide (double drive) and 270 for a 1 car (single drive)
    + taxes. Commercial prices are done on site, with a meeting with a company rep.
  20. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Seriously guys, I don't want to be that guy "fishing". So I will ask you straight up. I have been plowing since I was able to physically drive my dads yard truck, but I am just now starting this year to do "accounts". I own a Repossession company and will be using Straight 8's (Fisher) on my wrecker and my pickup. Where do I begin with charging. YES I have searched and searched the previous threads. Nothing specific.

1. What is a "push" considered? is it the number of times you actually have to push the drive to clear it, or the number of times you actually go back to a specific place per storm? I am thinking the later, but I want to be sure.

2. If your from Maine, simply don't reply to this question. I could see where it would be...conflicting. I need a simple base line price here guys. Say you get 4" of snow. Simple 1 1/2 car wide drive, 50' or so feet long to a Double wide Garage door, with 15' turn around mid way up. Paved! Open it up at the base, push the lane and back drag the doors, a few clean up swipes on a final plow job if more then one trip to residence. What would one price this at. In case your wondering, the description is my drive, but I have never paid anyone to plow my place, I have simply ALWAYS had a plow and or a Blower. I appreciate the help!

Feel more comfortable giving me advice with out the "ppl" looking on? Email me direct at RepoMan207@aol.com. Thanks in advance!