1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone do roof raking / clearing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ziob34, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

have had some customers inquire about roof raking / clearing was wondering if any of you do it and if so what do you charge. Most of it wouldn't be on the roof but just using a long roof rake to clear the bottom portion to prevent ice dams was probably going to charge by the hour same as shoveling and or snow blowing. any thoughts

2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

I had done a few in the past but no more, I was told I was no longer covered for it by my ins company, said none of the snow policy's cover roofs any more in ct, if I was gonna do it, I needed a seperate policy, I referred everyone that calls for roofs to a local roofer I'm friends with.

3. elitetc

elitetc Junior Member

I charge $150 an hour for myself and a helper, if im by myself its $100 an hour minimum $200. I rarely go on ladders have a 21 ft roof rake and try to keep everything on the ground. I target the edges try to go atleast 5 ft deep on the roof to avoid ice dam build up or as far as I can safely go. Make sure you let your customers know this, a lot of people are un educated about roof raking and it automatically means roof clearing, snow removal and think that's what they're getting charged for, I've had issues with this recently with all the snow we've received.

Id advise to not go on any roofs with more then 6-10 inches of snow on them, you cant see sky lights, vents or anything else you can damage. I avoid it all together for the most part, and dont like even putting ladders against houses because of liability.

4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have been charging $400 for a normal sized ranch. It takes me about 2 hours to do. I get up on the roof. Only on low pitched roofs. I wear yak tracks on my boots and traction is fine. I use a scoop style shovel to break it up and get some on the ground, then I switch to a pusher style (snow plow brand). It works well for me. Great extra income.

5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Too high for me

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

We always had some roof raking every season. Get ready for physical therapy on your shoulders and neck. We usually charged by looking at the home or business. I came up with a price depending on difficulty( 2 story high or more or single story. Do I have to hoist single stage blowers up there for balconies or flatter roofs, and so on.) Tried to make $50/hr/man. Gave better prices to valuable landscape/snow customers. Snow only customers paid more. Roof raking gets old real fast, then you have to make sure you clean up drives and walks that you rake snow onto. Don't forget to include that in your price. You'll make some money, good luck.

7. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I'm infantry, Not airborne. Only roof rake for full service customers.

8. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

They just had a story on this subject this morning on the Today Show because or all the roof collapses they are having now. They STRONGLY advised AGAINST anyone going on the roof and showed you tube videos of guys coming off the roof when it "avalanched" while they were up there. They recommended you call a roofing company to have it done. They also showed that you could take sections of panty hose filled with rock salt and tied off at both ends, and throw them up there near the edge of the roof line to melt and get rid of ice dams. I personally wouldn't do it as I think it is to much for a one man operation to do and still stay on top of my plowing. If I were considering it, I wouldn't do anything I couldn't reach with both feet planted firmly on the ground. JMO

9. redsox4life

redsox4life Junior Member
    from MA

FYI for anyone roof raking, look into the Avalanche roof rake. I was skeptical. It looked gimmicky but they really work good. It's way faster, and can clear like 2x-3x farther up the roof than a normal rake.