1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone do residentials only blowers and shovels?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by south jerz, Oct 23, 2007.

1. south jerz

south jerz Junior Member

I live in Southern NJ and I have always done lawn care. I'm considering offering snow removal this year. In my area we get anywhere from 2-5 legitimate storms a year. The average is probably 4" and the worst is 18-20".

In a 2 mile x 1/2 mile rectangle (which includes my house) inside my mowing service area, I can get at least 25 customers in that area. I wouldn't be comfortable taking on any more than that my first year. In fact I would rather just keep it very small and very local just to help cover some of my expenses during the winter. That way if I decide it's not worth my while anymore I can still stay loyal to my original customers without bending over backwards.

My average driveway is 10' x 75', average walkways 60' across the front and maybe 45' to the front door. The service I would offer is clearing driveways and front walkways and salting. Was planning on starting at 40.00 for 2-6" with a 2" trigger, with an average of 45.00-50.00 for the first clearing, and maybe half that after each accumulation of more than two inches.

Anyone have success with a similar operation? How do your prices compare?

2. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

Prices are right on. I would suggest not dropping them after the first visit, because, it is going to take you just as long to move 6 in. with a good snowthrower as it would to move 2 in. They should expect to spend that every time, because noONE will do it cheaper than that.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Don;t forget to factor in the increased time each account will take you and factor that into your capability.
    a plow and truck can handle 30-40 accounts in a reasonable time frame in most locals where as the extra labor loading and unloading the blower between accounts and actually blowing the account will take the same time frame to do 8 to 10 accounts.