1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone do 55w hid's in intensifier lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by gtmustang00, Sep 15, 2012.

1. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Looking to do hid's in my fisher headlights. My truck has 55w 6000 with relay kit. Do i need the slim ballasts? Does the relay kit go inside the headlight too and then get power from the positive and negative cable on the plow motor? What brands are you using? I'm using retro solutions in my 06 f350. Clear install pics would be great.

2. ScustomAuto

ScustomAuto Junior Member

I've done them before. The ones I install use slim ballasts and I hid them in the back of the housing. I had to stuff the relay harness in there too. I did run a ground wire to the motor only because these were negative switched headlights anyway. It was pretty much plug and play. The ones I used didn't actually have two separate bulbs, but rather, one bulb that moved in and out depending on high/low beam. My client got them from hidkits.net I think. Its not very complicated, just more of a pain trying to stuff everything in the housing and getting the cover back on. Another fun thing to do is to hide Whelen Vertex LED strobes in the parking light portion of the headlight. Those I end up wiring on a separate grill plug but they look really cool.

Every install I've done I get complaints that the white lights reflect off the snow too much. The whiter/bluer the light, the more it lights up the snow. For plowing, the yellower the light the better it lights up the road.

3. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

What have you done before in terms of light? 6000? 5500? 4300? The relay harness, where did you attach the positive, where the positive cable meets the motor?

4. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Interested in this also...

5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribed

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have any input on the HIDs but I ran my Intensifires on relays with switchable dual burn. Lighting performance was fantastic with the stock H13. The focus is so sharp I could see a small dim line between the high and low beam. If I had kept the truck I would have fooled around with some amber and/or 100w bulbs.