1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone deal with gm crappy plastic intake manifold?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Milwaukee, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Ok I replaced intake manifold gaskets twice in 2 years on this 2000 S10 4 cylinders for my cousin in-law. We are closely than anyone do with their in-law.

He is teenager and don't do race because I know. He make 19,000 miles in 3 years.

First they bought in 07 Sept it run fine until in 07 Dec it run crap. I replace gasket then last summer it do again. Now we can't fix we saw plastic Intake manifold were warp badly.

Well I told them screw up that junk it have 131,000 miles. Why it keep blew gaskets then warp it. It got me like couple days to do that. I told them just rid of that truck and get Ford crown Victoria then be done.

They should have use aluminum Intake Manifold like Ford did with their 4.9L

2. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Mill,
    you forgot to tell us how wonderful the 400 year old technology in the ford SFA was.

8 years and 174K and my plastic intake has never been touched and all is well

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

go get a junkyard manifold that isn't warped and make sure you use a high quality gasket and torque according to manufacture specs.... You shouldn't have a problem.

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

If it only made it 19K I'd imagine the guy who fixed it last time didn't know what he was doing. Should have taken it to a mechanic I guess.

BTW, it would be nice if you could just make ONE post in the Chevy section w/o bashing, & then mentioning the word Ford. JMO

5. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

what is with the grammar and spelling?

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

An S10 4 cylinder and a Ford Crown Vic.... very comparable vehicles!! :laughing:

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

He is deaf and has a hard time with words.

Mill, all of the newer GM's have the plastic intake manifolds. Mine has 160K on it and no issue what so ever. Probably either got the wrong gaskets, manifold is warped or not torqued down properly. Trying to do bicep curls with the ratchet is not proper torquing technique, lol

8. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Dont the new mustangs also have plastic intake manifolds? I would also trade for the crown vic much better then an s-10:dizzy:

9. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

im sorry i didnt know that i fell like an a** now.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Those manifolds need to be torqued with an INCH pound wrench. The numbers are VERY small.....

11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I didn't tell them to get that car. He want because power window, leather seat, and back seats for his friends.

Don't think I make them go back to Ford. They do have issues with some Ford Taurus or explorer.

Sydenstricker Landscaping

When engine light come on and 1 bank fuel system were run too lean. code is PO171
    Replaced that oxygen sensor and egr it went away then it come again and warp manifold.
    It look it was overheat because they aren't flat when you put on steel table.

And I replaced 1 on my neighbor's 01 S10 it still survive 40,000 miles so I know it not me.

12. bluefishbob

bluefishbob Junior Member
    from erie pa

well......... As a cert GM master tech. Ive replaced one or two of those gskts. if not torqued to specs. both tightness and sequence it will leak and possibly damage the plenum. and 15 or so years ago i was workn at a ford dealership and remember a recall on 4.6l vics replaceing the PLASTIC plennum. All lines have there own set of problems. buy new if you want a warranty