1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone deal with AutoZone?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DirtyJerzey, Jan 26, 2010.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Anyone have any dealing with them, past/current? I take care of a new autozone in my area. I cant complain about them being cheap or not paying. They gave me the work at a nice bid price and they pay in a timely manor with no issues. They also want me take care of the landscaping work as well... Anyone on to my point the manager will not sign a contract, I tried my hardest for a few weeks and he said that corporate just wont allow them to sign contracts, he said it is corporate policy, however corportate also requires me to carry insurance and show proof. He swore up and down do not worry you have the work blah blah blah. So far not an issue, however after our last storm of 18" and the nice bill that came with it he was in aw at the price of the bill and why I salted so many times ( location is in full shade and had huge snow drifts for days after the storm) Now he tells me that he only wants me to salt on an "as need basis" accoriding to him. I was in there today picking up some money when one of the counter girls asked me how come I did not salt a few weeks ago, they had a lot of complaints from customers about all the ice and almost had a slip and fall. I mentioned something to the manager and he said he just figured it would melt away and not be an issue, which was completly wrong. I told him that i want him to sign a document stating that he is the one making the calls for ice control and releasing my liability. He also says corporate will not let him do this.

Anyway, the manger is fairly young and this is his first actual managerial job. Is this really how all of the AutoZones are? He swears that none of them are allowed to sign contracts or anything. He even told me to go to all the AutoZones in the area and ask to speak to the manager and say that I want to bid on the snow. If I bid lower then the other guys they will just automatically start calling me. Obviously this is total unethical buisness crap. Which is at the same point what gets me worried that some lowballer could just come in and steal my work away.
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

he wants you to have all the liability so his ass is covered... ur gonna get screwed in a situation like this .. eventually
  3. DirtyJerzey

I totally agree with you on this which is my point. Luckily we have only had a few events this year, which I went ahead and salted other then the last one. I had the discussion with him today and told him if he doesnt sign anything, salt is being applied, if bills are not paid I will file therft of services, he got all shook up and said ok no problem. I have no problem assuming all liabiltity as this is what happens in the snow buisness, but when I assume all liability I call the shots, not an auto parts man
  4. procut

procut Senior Member

My only expirience with AutoZone is when I inquired about mowing once. The 20 yr old manager told me corporate wouldn't let him hire anyone becasue they were on a "Spending freeze."

I've had similar stuff happen. Some places are wierd about signing stuff. The only thing I can think of is a: They think it realeases them of liability (It doesn't totally) b: If there are any problems with the service, or they find someone cheaper at some point they can just tell you to get lost.
  5. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Autozone is one cheap company I worked for them as a store manager for a couple of years at first my district manager asked me to do all the district stores as long as you give us a deal which I did then next storm they found a low baller and I was out :mad:

till the low baller didnt show and they begged me to do it again this is when I said no thanks even tho I went to work in my plow truck with the blade on after I was done plowing lol

same thing with mowing we changed landscape companies about 4 times in one summer till they found that $20 a cut once a month guy that come in and do it with a 21 push mower out his s10 pickup lol

I am surprised they let you salt they used to make us use salt from the store and make employees spread it
  6. blk90s13

I guess you doing the hazlet store on 35N ?
  7. DirtyJerzey

that last event where the ice and slip and fall almost occured, the girl at the counter told me that the manager had her out salting and shoveling with a little scoop. She told me she was begging for the manager to call me but he just would not do it
  8. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

Your contracts should be releasing you of all liability - salt or not. You can't control mother nature and if you poney up to the claims before they even happen one day someone is going to take advantage of it. On ALL of our contracts whether we salt or not there's a hold harmless clause and release of responsibility with regard to acts of nature.

Just FYI - gotta cover your a$$ - nobody else will and someone is always looking for a scapegoat.
  9. blk90s13

no contract no insurance move on unless u need the business just keep your fingers crossed I guess.

they do the expense freeze for month at times so the big boys can make the money
  10. DirtyJerzey

all of my contracts have a hold harmless clause in them as well, no my first rodeo. The problem is if you read the post, he will not even sign a contract period as he claims corporate will not allow him to.
  11. blk90s13

I would wait for a nice storm ( like that will happen again in NJ ) And when he calls say you must sign a contract or you on your own buddy

all depends on your need for the business, at this point it seems like you on a call you type of deal so they are not really money in the pocket when it snows unless they decide they can spend the money right ?
  12. TGM

TGM Senior Member

i would definitely run. if you do need the money document, document, document. bring a tape recorder to record any conversations with the manager and employees. it would give you a fighting chance in court if someone did fall and you could prove that the manager verbally told you "no" to salting.
  13. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Trust me,,,,,,They don't pay and they want you to take all the liability !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would not work for them under ANY circumstances !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. DirtyJerzey

See my issues is they do pay, they pay well.... I have enough other accounts so it is not like I need to have them. The plowing is whenever I decidede to come, he has no issue with that. If there is snow he said just go and plow and salt as you will. However, when we have freezing rain or ice events, that is when he wants it to be as he feels needed.... this is something that is going on a lot in NJ as I read on here and hear from other snow contractors I know
  15. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I believe I would have told him in the begining to have someone from corporate sign it and get it back to me if he couldn't sign it. A company this size has to be dealing with lots of contracts. I can understand why they wouldn't want each manager signing contracts but sombody in the company is responsable for looking over and taking care of these matters.
  16. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I always wondered if the Autozone's around here were done by a management company or at the local level. Whoever plows them down here and mows them sucks! The grass is routinely over a foot tall with big huge weeds everywhere and the parking lots are never salted or plowed. I figured they must be realllllyyy cheap so I never wasted my time.
  17. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

a couple years ago i was out plowing and stopped by one to get some washer fluid. snow was at least 6" deep, hadnt been plowed at all while most of mine stuff had been plowed 2-3 times. the manager offered me $20 whole dollars to plow the lot. i laughed at him and asked were their plow guy was and he told me they dont have one they just offer it to plow guys as they stop in for stuff.
  18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Corporate companies usually have an operations manager that handle everything from what color tile to use to who installs signage. Ask him who that is or to speak with the district manager.
  19. DirtyJerzey

I was really hoping that someone on here had some first hand experience with them. I have around 5 of them in my area, I am really tempted to walk into one ask to speak to the manager and say hey, do you guys sign contracts for snow/maintenance here. This manager seems to be on my side, like I said he never questions the bills, pays on time and Im certainly not doing this for cheap and he hasnt tried to low ball me down. Quite honestly I think the guy has no clue what he is talking about, he says there is no district manager. He almost sounds like Will Farrel in Step Brothers when he says he wants a job at Enterprise Rent a car cause they give you the tools to be your own boss lol...
  20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Here call this number and starting asking questions - (800) AUTOZONE . Ask about contracts, tell them what you do for that store and your issue, they will forward you onto whoever you need to talk to.