1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone crazy enough to swap a 5.4L for a PSD6.0L?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dag-otto, Oct 11, 2004.

1. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Long story short I picked up a "write-off" wrecked 2003 F-350 with 6.0L, engine and tranny only had 48000Km. Em I nuts to even think this is possible without headaches to swap a 5.4L engine for the Diesel? I was wondering if anyone has done it. Motor mounts, electrical/fuses etc..?

Cheers
    Mike

2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

The electrical system and engine/drivetrain management systems will be the baine of your existance. You would be money and time ahead by buying a new PSD.

3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Can you sell both of them and buy 1 new one. I know that is not the point but ??? Good luck if you decide to do the swap. :waving:

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'm getting a headache just thinking about it!! :dizzy:

5. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

Probabally the easiest way would be the Bodyman approach... pull the box and cut the front innerstructure and back 1/2 of the cab (top & tail) leaving only running gear and cowl. Then weld on your nos and top & tail. This way, your main harness and eng stay together. Can't advise on what to about the vin tag though.....

6. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Yeah, I think you lads are right. It's just a nightmare. It's kinda of like relocating a polar bear to Australia. It's just not done. I will keep the motor and use it as a spare for a newer 6.0L.

Thanks again guys.

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a fun project to me IF you have:

a) The TIME to commit to it
    b) The $$$ to buy the components that are sure to break/be broken already
    c) The KNOW-HOW to make serious changes
    d) The TOOLS and SHOP SPACE to do a long term project

:p

8. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Yeah, I hear ya! I will just have to buy another truck and drive that crap out of her so I can drop this motor in :)

Not to many Canadians here eh? ;)

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

What is wrong with the 6.0 and drivetrain? The way you stated above the truck was a wreck, inplying the engine etc. should still be good.

10. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

Sorry I meant the vehicle had been involved in a motor vehicle accident, and had rolled several times; Leaving the body and frame in an unrepairable state.

This weekend I yanked the motor and trans and removed the suspsension and axles. That stuff is still good :)