1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone crack their A frame?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kah68, Dec 11, 2008.

1. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

A friend who has a 9'2" ploy V had his A frame crack on him last winter. It was a $ 2200.00 repair (covered under warranty). His dealer told him they thought it was due to stacking in the scoop position, is this possible? Doesn't sound right to me that one of the key features of the V (stacking in scoop) would be the cause of structural failure.

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I am guessing you mean the push frame. I have bent one when catching a curb but I have never heard of stacking causing the frame to crack. I know that when I replaced my push frame it was like $350 & I did the repair myself so I am not sure what all he messed up when it cracked.

3. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

We run 6 Boss vee's, last year we had 2 push frames snap completely in half both in the same spot. After the second break we inspected all of our plows and found a third cracking along the wield, this one was wielded before it failed. Our local dealer had never heard of this before either.

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the guy my buddy plows for broke both his a frames on his 9'2 v's this winter and he cant figure out why either! the dealer told him its from stacking the snow high and from pulling driveways(at the end of the driveways when the plow drops off the curb and hits the ground).

5. themechanic43

themechanic43 Junior Member

I usually sell about a dozen of these per season, usually more in the beginning of the season because of less snow and less familiarity of non-moveable objects.. Loggers often tear them up. The main reason for failure is what we call Blunt Force Trauma. Most people will not admit they hit something plowing @ 20 mph, but that's what usually does it. The pushframe is designed to act as a "fusible link" to save the truck frame from buckling. $350 bucks and a handy person is relatively inexpensive compared to frame repair. Boss will usually warranty the first time, under the idea that the owner has learned their lesson. In 2006, they re-designed it so as not to buckle quite as easily. All the new v-plows use it and they interchange with the old one. If you buy a new one, request the new p/nn not TFR01311

6. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Good to know, so in other words, gentler foots will prevail! I was a bit worried at first but the plow works so damn good in scoop/stack mode I just kept on doing it. Thanks guys!

7. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i have broken one several years ago. Like the mechanic said, its the fusible link. I have one at the shop for a spare.

8. natlancaster

natlancaster Junior Member

I had mine crack almost clear through Monday. I was stacking at the time,but believe it was stressed long before that. The local dealer had 3 in stock.Part # Fr09708 was on a 2yr old 8-2 vee.
    It also broke the lower hose on the lift cyl and broke the right side turn sig.

Nat

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

How did you break the turn signal and the hydro hose too?

10. natlancaster

natlancaster Junior Member

The plow aframe was broke all the way thru and allowed the moldboard and center to rotate up and back into the head gear at the top of the snow stack. Was a real wet heavy snow also.

11. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

This is my first new v plow, so that all remains to be seen. I have always run w/ straight blades and have torn the pivot pin clear through the 3 layers of 1/4" steel. I know that it was always the result of too many direct hits...raised sewer lids, uneven concrete and a curb here and there. You should make a point of doing some visual inspections from time to time and realize that when you start getting slop in the blade w/ up and down movement when the blade is elevated...it's probably getting close to needing a new aframe.

12. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

split mine a week ago but the plow is 9 years old and it had been patched once plowed all morning with one side split and it broke when I was taking the plow off at the end of the day.

13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I have a 03' 8' 2'' V and have had to replace and repair quite a few parts. The plow has plowed for 5 years about 35 events lasting 10 hours each so is has seen a lot of use.

The A frame (part # TFR09708) cracked on both sides just in front of the mounting point, welded it together last year and replaced it this year but my parts cost around $500 bucks including all the bolts, pins etc. I just replaced the pump motor yesterday at the cost of $400. The horizontal hinge pin twice. The light bar assembly cracked in half at the cross member that holds the lift cylinder, it is the tube that holds the two sides together, cut that out and replaced. All of the springs at some point. The solenoid twice. The center boot a few times. I think I have replaced other stuff but can't recall.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  14. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

we've broken lots and lots of those! :dizzy:
    always in the same spot. I had to go retrieve several that were left in parking lots, or the side of the road, but mostly, I was able to fix or replace them before they tore apart.
    I had started adding a gusset along the sides, but that was just a bandaid. then after a while, the push frames we were ordering, had a triangle built into it, just below the lift cylinder mount, and additional material along the sides.
    I think it was more of a design flaw than anything.