1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone clear coat their plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sno commander, Dec 17, 2010.

1. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

so i have been noticing after 3 seasons my western is not as shiny on the moldboard as it use to be. i was thinking of taking a scotch brite pad and cleaning up the moldboard just a little and shooting it with some clear? anyone try this, i know their powdercoated so im not sure what the outcome would be? i would rather wear down the clear plowing and trying to save the red.

2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Maybe a Urethane might up....regular enamel would wear off in no time

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I painted my previous plows with Imron paint and clear coted them the paint was awesome. out shined out lasted the powder cote and snow refused to stick to the Imron.

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

So the clear coat is the key to stop snow from sticking to your plow? I've tryed other thing and nothing's working yet.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

the Imron paint (its a plastic) snow dont stick to it

6. DansSVT

DansSVT Junior Member

I had my plow Powdercoated and looks great and won't chip or scratch like paint. Try that out.

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the thing is the paint is fine, its just kinda dull. its not that bad enough to get it powder coated. with a coat of fluid film it gets the color back, im just looking for a better soultion to get a gloss finish.

8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I've never herd of imron paint, Is it spray on (can) or brush?

9. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

Imron is an industrial grade paint. Used in construction equipment, even airplanes. Spray with compressor. Very hard finish.

10. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

So it's something I can buy at a local auto praint store?

11. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

Yes, but they would have to be a paint speciality store, not Orielly, Autozone.....

12. pavmntdestryr

pavmntdestryr Junior Member

I was thinking about line xing my plow, but would that be too rough for the snow to slide off?

13. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Did mine 4 yrs ago and just starting to get messy again, and the fisher decal i cleared over still looks New....

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There was someone on the forum that painted the face of the plow with fiberglass resin. He used a flat paint pad to put it on. Did 2 coats on it.

15. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I looked into painting my plow with Imron. I did not. Very dangerous stuff, you have to wear a air supplied respirator when spraying. I didn't have or access to the equipment to safely spray. From what I've heard it's durability is similar to POR15. I thought about clearing my plow after rfinishing but didn't have time.

16. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

That must be why my head hurt...seriously