1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone check out the Silverado hybrid?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by LB Landscaping, Nov 3, 2005.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Saw a couple the other day, seems kind of neat. It would be cool to be able to run power off of your truck on the jobsite or camping. Sits kind of low to the ground, fuel savings isn't that great either. I'd be interested in hearing anyone who has driven one to see how they perform.

2. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

We took one for a ride 2 Saturdays ago - performs same as normal 5.3 only difference is it shuts off at lights and runs on the battery. It has regenerative braking so when you let off the gas and coast to a stop it feels like it has a slight drag that's the generator charging the battery. Unfortunately no plow prep package and since there's not much mileage gains the hybrid will likely go the way of quadrasteer... MPG was rated about 1mpg better ho-hum.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah they claimed like 10% savings in fuel, the upgrade to hybrid is only $1500 though, doesn't seem too high. I just like the built in generator.

4. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

It does have lots of outlets, would be nice to run things or recharge tools... One other nice thing is that it has an increased powertrain warranty - something like 7 years 80K miles.

5. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

only 1mpg increase w/ all that extra crap onboard.. does kinda seem like a futureless option........

6. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

what about that new motor that shuts down 4 cylinders. i think its called displacement on demand. is that out yet.

7. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

They say 2007 Tahoes (which will start taking orders in December and shipping early next year (I think they said shipping early next year)) are the first full size dod vehicles. Hope they're better than the "V-864" Cadillac motor of a few years back So far they seem to be; they're out in the Trailblazer EXT and they haven't had problems.

IMHO I can't figure out the Silverado hybrid either. Maybe it's an interim to help GM's C A F E stats or it figures in to their 'most fuel efficient" marketing stuff.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The GM hybrid is really only a minor hybrid. It still uses the same old 5.3L V-8... but has a small electric motor that "assists" the v-8...But it does have the ability to produce line quality 110v 20amp power.. which owuld be very nice to have on remote job site where power is not available. Also people are complaining about only a 1-2 mpg gain.. well how may guys go out and get a custom tuned PCM to gain 1-2MPG???

I give them credit... They improved gas milage, plus you now have a built in generator. I would buy it if they offered the option on a HD....Hell 2 mpg will give me almost 440 miles per tank...

9. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

How much per tank???? i got 230 miles out of my last tank of 26 gallons.....

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Regular cab long bed has 36 gallon tank... at 10mpg I will get 360...at 12 it is 432

11. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

gotcha.. i was thinkin u had a 26gal tank

12. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

The thing to pay attention to with them is how they produce the power.
    They no longer have an alternator or a starter.
    This is probably how all vehicles are going to be going, since they are moving to a 42V electrical system and the little alternators in use today won't be able to put out enough power.

13. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

My father in law has that in his Cadillac and he is getting 28mpg on the highway...

that is an 03 I think...

Derek