1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone changing fluids...?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Turf Commando, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I want to know how many if any change their Drive-train and Differentials fluids...?
    Reason, I'm asking seems every used truck I've ever bought had little to no repairs done and with that stress on your drive -train, all my buddies recommend it being done or face the inevitable.
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I change my tranny fluid every year, and do the diff and the rest every other....
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Oil every 3,000. Front and rear diffs, transmission, transfer case is done every year.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Spend the money and get your equipment serviced. You'll enjoy the peace of mind knowing that you did the best you could to keep your things fully operational.
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

my truck leaks enough that i dont need to actually change the fluids i just refill them. :jester:

plow truck gets about 2-3 oil changes per season, the front and rear diff gets it once a year. brake and power steering also once per year. trans gets it every couple of years.

usally end up replacing the battery and alternater every couple of years. the shocks get yearly or every other depending on sloppyness. water pumps are another one that seems to end up being replaced every couple years.

man trucks are expensive. thats like $600 per year if i do all the repairs. what were those latest hall of shame lowballers charging, like $10 any drive :dizzy:
  6. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

I bought my 2003 in August 2007 with a little over 65k on it. Since I had no record of when the fluids were changed, I proceeded to do the tranny fluid and filters first, t-case 2nd since it is easy and then I did the front and rear diffs. I used Mopar ATF+4 synthetic in the tranny and t-case and used Amsoil severe gear 75-90 in the diff's. I will probably do the diffs again at 150k miles and will do the tranny and t-case at around 90 to 100k.

For peace of mind always do the fluids when you buy a used truck, especially when buying one for working!