1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone Can Plow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by M&M, Dec 10, 2009.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

A friend of a friend who is a contractor bought a plow to put on his truck this year. He owns a few rental properties and has a long driveway at his house. These properties were the reason he bought the plow which is very understandable. It makes sense. Well he then calls me up this fall looking for advise on how to get some driveways "to make it worth his while." I gave him some solid advice which he threw out the window. He ended up with 6 driveways at $20 per push. My average is double that in the same area. I say good luck and keep me posted.

This is where it gets funny. He called me yesterday after he plowed for the first time and said "It's costing me more money than I'm making!" After 4 of the 6 accounts he hit a garage door, a lamp post and rolled up "a very large area of sod." Then he said he could have been working all day so that's costing him money too.

It really makes me happy that he got a life leason on day one of plowing.

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

serves him right, Thats like asking him how to build a wall then doing your way instead..
    Gotta make you smile thinking to yourself I told you so:laughing:

3. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

thats almost funny

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The school of hard knocks has some tough lessons.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah any one can plow,lol

6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Maybe I'll get to buy a slightly used plow in April. LOL

7. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

8. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

That's awesome! :laughing:

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Or a great deal on a garage door,lamp post, and some sod.

10. LEVE

LEVE Member

Ignorance is bliss...he just had some ignorance removed. Maybe he'll have more respect for the next plow guy he meets and the job does.

11. CarharttComando

CarharttComando Junior Member
    from MI

yeah that is awesome, no offense to your friend but im kinda glad aswell because its people like that who will destroy our industry...landscapers are not out running around trying to build houses, so y tha h#$% is everyone with a truck and a couple grand trying to plow snow..allways hillarious to me when they figure out "wow its not as simple as
    they make it look" lol

12. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Seems to be a common trend this year. I've seen more new guys with plows this year than in many past years. Also a lot more contractors traveling longer distances to do small jobs. On the bright side , the repair work may be on the increase.

13. Premier

Premier Senior Member

i hope you are right...

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

hmmm maybe I should start plowing if its that easy

15. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

an empty parking lot with nothing to break :laughing::laughing:

16. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

Around me i think everyone plows!!!
    The best part about plowing is you dont even have to have a truck it can be a rusted shell of what was once a truck h*ll i think some might even be useing cars. Oh ya i forgot got to make sure you are insured if you want to not get any work:realmad:

17. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thats awesome. You should send him an estimate for lawn repair just for fun.

18. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

:laughing:

19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Some people don't have enough sense to make dollars.

20. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

What comes around goes around..