1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone bought the scorp motor yet

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by albhb3, Jun 1, 2010.

1. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

As it implies what your reaction

2. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

go to thedieselgarage.com their a a few guys over there that got their hands on some, i heard spartan has allready cracked the code and has one with the urea, dpf, cat, and egr all removed and smoking black

3. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

boy isnt that askin for it :mechanic:

4. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

no they are a tuning company, they bought the truck, know they are voiding the warrenty, and are doing it for "off road use only" they know exactly what they are doing, EPA cant touch them, they been threw it with the 6.4, puls ya know what they say, ya got to pay to play

5. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

One of my buddies took delivery of his 2011 6.7 crew cab and he says it's got loads of power for a stock truck. When he gets back from Maine with it I intend to take it for a little spin.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We have 4 new ambulances in our budget for this year I can't wait to drive one. I will give you a good report after I have one for a 36 hour weekend rotation.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I wasn't big on the front grill at first, but I saw a Black FX4 Crew this past weekend it was sharp, very sharp. I would like to see it all colormatched though like the previous FX4's.

8. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

heard one today while sitting at a stop very quiet they look great with 37s

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have driven 2 now, they drive very nice but i think they have a little less power stock than a 6.4.. I am going to stick with my 6.4 for a wile.
    Robert

10. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

do you think it had less umph because of the gear ratio. I would say that at a 3.31 it would feel less. I will put it out there that, thats the only way the MPG's increased

11. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I take it they are F-series ambulances?

12. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I would stay away from them for a few years. Ford bought cat patents to build them so it truly not a ford motor. CAT made a decsion not to continue in the on road truck market because of the problems with there designs and reliablity. Ford's original tests were so bad they almost stopped futher production on them. I personel know someone who has one badged as a 6.4 for road testing. Just something also to remember ford has had 3 motors in 7 years not a very good track record in my eyes.They ALL were going to be the best motor ever made. P.S i used to own all fords not true anymore after my 6.0 mess

13. Kavu

Kavu Member

I've had my 2011 F350 for about a month now. It has a 6.7 in it and so far I like it. It has great power and good fuel mileage. I’ve driven it about 2500 miles and have averaged about 17.5 to 18 MPG…

At first I started shopping for a 2010, but was not too excited about the 6.4. After doing a little research I decided to take a leap of faith and buy the 6.7. I usually avoid first year of production-hopefully it all works out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We have been getting E-350 ( badged ) Super Duty - Ambulances. The engines should be available for ambulances. We are the biggest company in the country. They want diesels and we buy many Ford ambulances every year.

I used to sing the praises of the 6.0. Not anymore! They just fall apart at around 120K, all kinds of glitches that do not show up when you scan them.Psycho fan clutches,computer plays with shift points,good MPG one day the next day blows thou a tank in 5 calls. The EGR throws codes constantly, injectors self destructing.
    I would rather have an old 7.3 I know they will not die under me. Starts and drives, does not s t u m b l e for the first 300 yards. I have not drove our 6.4's enough to give an honest opinion.

15. Kavu

Kavu Member

As I understand it the 6.7 and 6.4 are to big t fit into the E vans. So unfortunately you are stuck with the 6.0... Why not go with F series Ambulances?

16. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Gigantic jump in price.

17. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

The 6.0 was pretty crappy. The 6.4 was a good motor only discontinued because of bad blood between Ford and Navistar due to the 6.0 so Ford gave Navistar a big F U and decided to produce their own motor. That is why they've had so many engines in such a short period of time.

18. fireside

fireside Senior Member

The bad blood was the law suit by both of them. They blame internation for all the problems so they just stopped selling them to ford. The 6.4 was some what better but they had LOTS of problems but not as many as the 6.0.
    AS for the 6.0 problems is spoke to a international rep looking at a school bus for a warrentty problem with it when my truck go figure was being fixed again. He stated a blue bird school bus has the same 6.0 motor as ford. The many problem with a ford is it never works hard and doesn't get hot to burn the carbon completely. The easy way to explain it is one is 33,000 and the other is max 19,000. The other problem is they can'nt sit or idal at all or you will have major problems.

19. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I'm totally unhappy with the mileage of my 6.4. Power is awesome, and I suppose it's not as big of a polluter as some others. Personally I don't think a little soot is that bad, poor fuel mileage may be worse for the environment.

Glad to hear all the good mileage numbers from the 6.7's.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010