1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone bagging their own salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Super Mech, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

Anyone here buying salt in bulk form and bagging it themselves? If so what kind of bags are you using? What are you using to tie the bags closed?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buddy tried it last year and he said it sucked. He stopped after 10 bags.The salt had to much moisture in it and would freeze if it was left in the back of the truck.

3. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

^^this^^

The salt has to be absolutely dry for it be worth it. Most people that do it themselves just buy a heat sealer for the bags. BUT, if you have the space, you only have to buy buckets once.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We just fill 5 gal buckets.Our salt is inside,we add bagged calcium to it on the floor and
    make a mix depending on temp.We call it the hot mix!

5. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

50 lbs fits great in a sandbag and the tie is already there. Make sure it's dry when you bag it, or it will freeze. Or just keep it in a warm shop before you go out. Been bagging for 4 years now. Keeps the guys busy on the wash out days and save lots over buying bagged.

James

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What type of spreader is he using?

7. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

A dixie cup.

:mechanic:

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

cutting the bottom 1/3 off a 1 gal plastic container works well and gives you a handle to hold on too! wesport

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Why would anyone want to? You have to decide what business you're in, the bagging or spreading.

Ever wonder why Morton, ISC, NASC, etc don't spread salt, only bag it or deliver it in bulk?

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I think many do it because there using small tailgate spreaders. It easier for them to
    keep dry and handle rather than dumping loose in the bed of a pickup. Plus it can be more economical over the cost of bagged to buy bulk and self bag.We put it in buckets for the sidewalk crews.
    Why buy bagged when you've got 30 tons sitting inside nice and dry.

11. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

X2 to that

12. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

X3 on that

13. wewille

wewille Senior Member

By the time you by the bags, the labor, the pia factor, etc... would the savings be that great?

14. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

To give you an idea of the savings, I did some math. At my cost I pay 3.75 cents a pound for bulk. I pay 11 cents a pound for bagged. So if you figure in buckets, that I get for free with lids, and labor which I preform myself at 20 dollars an hour. I can buy bulk, shovel it into buckets at the rate of about a ton an hour my costs I can buy and bag my own salt for 4.9 cents a pound. This allows me to make 7 cents extra per pound of my homemade bagged salt. If you really think about it, I am not makeing a huge profit this way, but I still see it as more than doubling my money between the two.

15. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You would think, wouldn't you.

Ooh, $3.50 a bag. Sorry, that isn't worth my or my guys' time. I have other things that I can make more money doing.

16. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Imagine the savings if you just use the bulk product instead!
    I understand there are reasons to bag salt and we use 2-3 skids a year as well but I don't think I will justify the effort to do it ourself.