1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anyone added a backup camera?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by supercuts, Dec 8, 2011.

1. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

im looking into buying one and wondered if anyone else had and any info including brand type and price. im looking at a review mirror type installed for $700.

i just got a crew cab ram and its going to suck backing up in driveways. any help is appreciated

Mark

2. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Head into a specialty car audio shop and not a large chain store like Best Try. This will be your best bet at finding what is suitable for your needs.

3. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Im definatly thinking about adding one on my truck, I would do it myself however and replace my factory radio with a DVD player fancy setup and have the screen right in the dash.

4. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

You need a double din unit and you will require a minor dash modification and a custom mount in order to do this in a 99 F250 PROPERLY. Kenwood makes a top notch system that support Garmin for the GPS and has side and rear view cameras available as well. Bluetooth on board is done complements of Parrot and it is a great system. The only other one to consider is the Eclipse AVN726e, very similar unit but personally I like it better and it is far cheaper if you can find them. Eclipse (Fujitsu Ten) stopped aftermarket audio production a year and a half ago but the double din nav units they did not as they are a staple in Fujitsu vehicles, like Toyota. I am going to be swapping my Kenwood back to the Eclipse as I just plain liked it better. Sales wise, it was 20:1 for Eclipse to Kenwood for me when I was in that industry.

5. espyj

espyj Member

I have a backup camera, but I only use it for hitching up trailers. In the snow, most backup cameras will get covered, and you end up getting out of your truck to wipe if off before using it. If you're only using it to back up into driveways, you should just learn to use your mirrors. Far cheaper than a camera.

6. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

wow, so simple, obvious and right......im not sure it will work in the snow. that just saved me $700.

if i do buy one, it was the one with the display in the rear veiw mirror

7. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Sorry , but that is wrong.. I have a back up camera that has a heated camera. no snow or ice build up EVER..
    Yes the cheap ones will probably have snow stick to them. But you get what you pay for.
    I have mine mounted on the back of my sander . I don't know how i ever did it without one .

Here is the one i have..
    Your welcome...Thumbs Up
    http://www.rearviewsafety.com/emergency-vehicle/rvs-770812n-heated-camera.html

8. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

$700.00 Seems way high .. Look above to the link i posted..Will be the best $300.00 you'll ever spend.

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I agree with Espyj - I've got an OEM backup camera in my 2011 F350. It's located right above the license plate.

I don't get ice or snow build up, but it gets dirty real quick making the monitor real fuzzy; can only see stuff if it is real close.

Also, when you back up at night with the lights on, the picture is actually worse that if you backed up in the dark with all of the lights off.

Best system would almost be one that you could mount inside the cab up high and face out the rear window, assuming that you don't have a cap on the bed.

10. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Mirrors - that's what they're there for.

11. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

I have one in my ford as well at the handle of the tailgate. Its great in the spring, summer and fall but not great in plow situations. It gets slush and dirt on it pretty quick. It can help in those tight situations though. I wouldn't spend $700 on one though.....

12. performanceplus

performanceplus Senior Member

$700 is pretty high. I sell aftermarket audio and I am in East Hampton. Let me know if you need anything.

13. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Ive got one hooked up to my edge cts monitor

14. chevyman83

chevyman83 Member

I have a cheap one that I just installed. Mirrors have their limits on what they can see. I just wanted some thing that fills the blind spot right behind the truck and that is does very well. Yes snow and dirt do accumulate on the lens when going down the road at hwy speeds, but it's not that big of a deal to get out and clean it off. When driving across town at 30 mph this accumulation was very minimal and use was not an issue. A backup camera is not a replacement for mirrors but should be used in addition too.

15. POWER STROKE

POWER STROKE Member

Check your local "Auto Zone" here in Michigan they have a nice wireless one with a 6"-7" Monitor that you mount to the bolts that holds your Lic plate . Not heated but for less than $100.00 worth a try.

16. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

17. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I bought a cheap one on ebay that mounted under the lip on my Salt Dogg shpe1500. I then wired it into the stock system from Ford, so when I go in reverse it pops up on my rearview mirror like the stock system...

LOVE it.

18. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

What worked really good were those OEM backup sensors that I had built into my 2006 F350.

They would beep as you closed in on an object, and beep faster the closer that you got. When you got within six inches, it would become a solid tone.

That was better than a camera (I think) because you could just listen for the beeping while looking in your mirrors; don't have to look at and focus on a camera picture.

The only downside to the Ford backup sensors is that they died alot. There are four in the back bumper, and it seemed like one would die every few months (and disable the entire system). I had them replaced I think three times under warranty. When the warranty expired and they died again, I never bothered to replace them. I'd fix them if I knew that they would last, but history indicates that they won't.

19. tsnap

tsnap Member

I have the heated one from rear view safety on my truck. I used to drive truck for a living. I know how to use my mirrors very well. However I do get in some tight spots where that camera is a lifesaver and it also helps so i can see salt spread and such. As the above post mine is mounted on my salter. Does not build up slush and snow. Easy to see out of and has great vision at night. If you want to see some pics I can send you some of my install.

20. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I spent the 300 and got the heated on too. I use it for my Pull Plow it works awsome, the best 300 bucks I ever spent. I dont think you can go wrong. I mounted mine to a 4" cup magnet that I can move around to what ever location I choose that best works for me. Winter time for my pull plow , Summer time for my trailers

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011