1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone a Volvo D12 expert?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by IMAGE, Mar 22, 2012.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I've got a 96 Volvo with a D12 425hp motor. It intermittantly loses all power, but I can cycle the key while still rolling and it fires right back up. It happens worse under heavy load/acceleration then it does running light or bobtail. When it happens all the guages on the dash keep working and don't show a problem and there is no Check Engine Light.

By losing power, i don't mean it get's doggy. I mean the motor completely shuts off like all power was cut to the injectors. (obviously is still spinning over because it is rolling down the road in gear when this happens)

I'm going to replace all the sensors today, oil, temp, crank position, and cam position. I'm hoping that cures it. But if it doesn't... shoot me some ideas if you have them.

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Whoa, you know this is a snow forum? Sounds electrical to me.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Plenty of guys here driving/working on big rigs.

4. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

I would not replace parts blindly. Odd that no check engine light is set. Might be best to start in the battery box to make sure all connections clean & tight & no cables rubbing anywhere. Would also suggest getting it plugged into the Volvo diagnostic tool (VCADS), even though no code set, a truck ECM records lots of data than can be reviewed for anomalies, there may also be a 'pending' code which could help.

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Whoa, you know that truck delivered your snow blower last year? :drinkup: Yeah I'm guessing electrial also, but what a PITA to diag an intermittant prob!

yep, that's what I figured :salute:

Thanks PMorrissette, I have been though all the battery cables, but I still need to go through the smaller power feed wires for relays and solinoids. I was at Volvo today and they suggested not replacing any parts yet also. But they are booked this weekend and can't get it scanned until next week. I'll be OTR next week, so I've got it scheduled to go in next weekend. They are going to scan it, and test the water temp sensor because they said it could cause it. Other then that they are thinking I could be chasing a wiring issue or bad ecm. It only did it a few times in 1800 miles earlier this week, so I can live with it for another week.

On a side note, I bought another truck today, well I pick it up next weekend. It's an 03 Freighliner with a Detroit. I wanted something with a common motor so I wouldn't be stuck looking for Volvo dealers, and the price was right on this one. :nod: