1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anyine shear a spindle off of a skid steer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mick76, May 19, 2013.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Ive got a Cat 248. The other day my brother in law was using the machine and completely sheared one of the back spindles clean off (right where the spindle meets the "flange/hub"). When I talked to Milton Cat they said it was common to do. Damn spindle is 2" harden steel and its common to do? just looking to see how "common" it is (with Cat or other brands)....... Anyone have any insite?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow that's a new one. I have a hard time believing that's a common failure. I've been around heavy equipment my whole life and I've never seen or heard of that one.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I know its odd...... doesn't seem too common to me.... this thread has had 93 views and no one cares to comment? Its not like there's alot of other threads going on right now , so lets hear it...

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Wow that seems hard to do. Pictures?

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

My BIL took a few pics off his smart phone... Ill see if he can forward them too me and Ill post em.....

6. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

Older machines here. Thomas 133's 2 or 3 can't remember front and rear likely due to axle overload. Also one Ford CL55 rear axle not sure why.
    The ford is also a Thomas machine. All three machines were from the late eighties.

7. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

ive been around skidsteers my whole life as well. mainly cat's, 216's 226's and a couple 248's and put lots of hrs on them all and never have i seen or heard of this!? gl with the repair

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I mentioned it to my cat sales rep. He has seen it once before. He made mention that it was a defect in the shafts it shouild be covered under recall push the dealer. He was the same guy who got my cutting edge replaced under warranty when it cracked on my 6 year old skidsteer. Cat life time warrantties cutting edges if they crack and break don't tell anyone!!!

Last edited: May 27, 2013