1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody with boss smarthitch?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BATTLIN_BLAZES, Nov 10, 2001.

my question is this....i just had a 7'6" boss installed on a 2001 f-150 7700 series....got it home ...playing with it of course:D ....
    when i went to remove it from the truck it puked out a few ounces of hydro fluid....so i contacted dealer and they said they may have overfilled it a little bit?advised me to keep playing with it and see if it continues..so i did...but what i found was when i run the hydraulics to remove it from the truck if i hold the switch up vs. just jogging it up slowly it will lose a little bit of oil...does this make any sense?:rolleyes: the oil is coming out the fill cap as if its creating pressure or air on removal?anybody else notice this on the smarthitch?:confused:

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Could be that they installed to much fluid or did not bleed all the air out of the sytem. This would cause it to force some out when the cylinders collaspe down. I would run it a few times and then check the level. If it is high drain a little off. You should have a little airspace in the resevoir.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I just installed my own Boss this week,I remember reading in the manual,a warning about extending the lift cylinder during assembly.I think this may be what happened.It warns that if you extend it before the hydro system is filled with oil,that an air bubble will get into the lift ram,and it will puke fluid out when first put into use.This sounds like what yours is dong.Mine works perfect,I love how easy it is to hook up,Im havinga hard time juding side to side when i pull in ,I used to line up the ram on the Fisher with the center line in the hood on the GMC, i need to put a piece of tape on the light bar,for a guide,then Ill be all set.

i think you guys got it.....ive put it on and off another 50 times just trying to get familiar with it...everything seems to be ok now..
    and yes john im having the same problem getting lined up with it..lol glad to here you are too because i sure felt like an idiot the first time i jumped out and realized i was 4" away from my mark...lol other then that seems to be an awesome plow real fat on and off ....not sure why you would ever want carry it around it takes all of what 30 seconds to do? thanks again guys for helping out the newbies...just a little nerve racking to see your brand new investment losing oil...lol

thanks guys
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

you guys should consider the plow dollies. i picked up a pair, and i can push my plow around with my pinky finger, no kidding either. just push it right up to your truck when you hook up
  6. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Our Bosses will puke oil too if the tower is just allowed to lower by gravity. If we quickly flip the switch down and hit the hoist button to power the tower down, the pump sends the oil that would otherwise get puked into the suck side of the lift cylinder.

(this is easier to see than type)