1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody using a Ford Excursion for snow plowing?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MidAtlantic, Dec 17, 2005.

1. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

I was wondering if anybody is using a Ford Excursion for snow plowing?? I just purchased an Excursion with a Powerstroke and put a 8' Blizzard plow on it. If you do use one I would love to here how well it has held up to all the plowing abuse.

I'm wondering how long the front end, transmission and transfer case will hold up and if there are any other issues I will have to deal with.

Thanks for your input....

2. Whip

Whip Member

A guy I used to work for had one for about 3 years with a 810 Blizzard on it. He is brutal on everthing and had no problems with his.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

A guy down the street from me has one. It plows like a tank with his 8' Boss on it. He has had it for a few years now, plows parking lots and sometimes plows for the town. It is even a gas job. The thing just can't be killed. I swear that it plows better than a truck because there is just so much weight to it. Good luck with yours!:drinkup:

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It should do OK it has F-250 drive train / suspension as far as I know. More weight with the extra steel and glass then an F-250 would have.

5. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We used to have one when we need a truck that could haul lots of golfers during the off season. Great plow and multi-task truck. With the V10 it would pass everything except a gas station.

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

New guy to the site, and I have to say that I like what I see! I too have an Excursion and will be putting a plow on any day now and will let you know first hand how it is.

Bob

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I know a fellow up in the mountains of Colorado who said the best day of his life was when he sold his Excursion !!! Yes it was a plow truck as well. Just had the typical BS problems seems all the Ford diesels have. Stuff that is completely unaccepatable if you own a Cummins :D but is okay cause it wears a Ford emblem.
    Todd

8. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

The only problem I see with using an Excursion for plowing is it being too damn long to maneuver.

9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

That was me with excursion and the blizzard. The Excursion did fine plowing when it ran. It had alot of fueling issues. The excursion is actually shorter than a regular cab 8' bed. It has better weight balance and pushed alot of snow.

The truck was about to fall apart, and that would have happened if it was a pickup or an Ex. It was just a Ford

[​IMG]

10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The guy I work for has a white excursion with a blizzard 810. Its sweet with a white plow on a white truck.

11. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I have a 02 Excursion w/7.3 Powerstroke. It is a fine plow truck. Just as good as any other 3/4 ton truck. Best part is, its my wifes vehicle that we own entirely based on the fact that it can plow snow.

It is a fantastic muti-use vehicle.

If you have any questions let me know.

Joe

12. Sawboy

Joe, are you looking for some extra work?

13. ChicagoSnow

No thank you............... were good for this season.

Why, whats going on?

14. Sawboy

I need a backup, and someone with daytime availability

15. ChicagoSnow

Just let me know what type of help you are in need of and I will see what I can do.

Where do you work? Dont need specifics just areas so I can think things through.

How long have you been in this business?

What is the issue you face with daytime availability currently?

Joe

16. Sawboy

"Just let me know what type of help you are in need of and I will see what I can do."

Basically I need someone during the day in case the snow stops early a.m. and I can't get to it.

"Where do you work? Dont need specifics just areas so I can think things through."

NW and North side of Chgo.

"How long have you been in this business? "

8 years. But........recently sold my truck and plow because of new job and lack of work. However, an old friend recently presented me with a city contact. I have looked at the properties in question (7) and if they are willing to accept my bids (99.9% sure they will as they are kinda stuck, and friend has been with them 10 years) I will jump back in with both feet! :) And the upside for next year is huge as the contract WILL grow.

"What is the issue you face with daytime availability currently?"

Simple, I work during the day. From 5-ish until 3.

Thanks, Bob

17. Sawboy

I should also mention that these are not big lots.

18. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

Chtucker,

What problems did you have with your Excursion and how many miles did you have on it? I have had pretty good luck with all the other fords we have in our fleet. I bought the Excursion to replace my Tahoe which was my mobile office. I wanted a truck that could plow and take the abuse.

Did you have any problems with the front end? I know they made the springs a little softer since its really a family SUV. To top it off I have a diesel.

Also how much ballast do you have in the rear for those heavy storms? I had about 30 bags of ice melt in the back and it plowed great up hills in 2wd. I have yet to put it in 4wd.

19. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic Member

The only problem I have had so far is the mounting bracket keeps bottoming out. Did you guys modify your suspension?

20. ChicagoSnow

I added 1 leaf to my front end and I believe 2 additional leafs to the rear to increase the ride height. I really dont mind a "stiffer ride" I just prefer a more substantial towing vehicle.