1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody use Kissner ice melt products before?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snowplower1, Nov 29, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

The company I buy bulk rock salt from wants us to start buying our sidewalk salt from them. these are the specs of it. Just curious if anybody can tell me how it works. currently using robomelt which has been great but i like the guy i buy bulk from more and just want to know it's a good product. He quoted me at 8.98/ bag. I think as long as it works as well or better than robomelt that is a good price as robomelt is like 9+/bag
    KISSNER POLAR ICE – Cal Flake; Corrosion Inhibitor; Blue Tint; - 24F
  2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

He's more then likely getting the bulk from kissner. No I would guarantee he is. They are trying to be the kings of bag product also and are driving the price down as low as they can go to try and kill the competition.
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

works to zero then need to mix it with more cal for lower temps
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  4. snowplower1

He buys the bulk right from the mine-american rock salt mine. Not sure if that is kissner. That kinda sucks if it only works to zero. Maybe will just buy like 10 bags and have the guys use it on 2 or 3 properties to test and see how it will do.
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i have found that most of those blends work well to zero...then mixing 4 to 1 with cc pellets gives a better results, i would have a couple of buckets and just mix it to conditions...but all that depends on your crew...

i never had a problem running a shovel for the light stuff before salting...most want to over apply melter and leave
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  6. snowplower1

I agree that I always have them shovel the light snow and then salt. With salt at 8-10 a bag it's not worth using more than us needed. Plus it takes a whole like 5 minutes extra
  7. EPM

EPM Member

Robo Melt is a Kissner product. The Polar Ice is listed on their website as a better product than Robo Melt.
    I'm not sure how much ice melt you go through but its probably worth picking up a pallet or two and seeing how it works especially considering the lower price.
  8. snowplower1

Interesting, I was just thinking once I load everyone up with my supply now for this weekend I might have room to resupply so maybe instead of buying more robomelt I will try this out. Although I gotta say robomelt is really good. It melts real quick and well