1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody start up with Spreading services only?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rbljack, Dec 11, 2013.

1. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

Im curious to know if its feasible to start with spreading services only, and not have plowing for the first season, then add the plow the following year.

Has anyone done this? Keep in mind the area im in....we don't typically get heavy snowfalls. More typically we may see a few storms with a few inches or snow, or ice.

I checked with the GL insurances, and my current policy is for my lawn and landscape business. They told me that spreading would fall under snow removal even though there is no plowing, and Iwould have to pick up the additional insurance to be covered for such things as slip and fall, etc. I currently have commercial auto insurance on my truck however, so any damage to a property because of a vehicle related incident would be covered. However, the policy would not cover broken windows if I used a snowblower and broke a window, etc...etc..etc. Insurances ....ugggg

My GL policy would go up over a 1000 bucks to 1500, so im trying to determine if I could get by with spreading services the first year and then ease into snow plowing next year in addition to the spreading services.

What are yalls thoughts?
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I think the question is, are customers going to hire you to only salt the lot?
    What do u do when there is over a half inch of snow? The client is not going to hire someone to plow, and someone else to salt.
    Most guys start plowing, then add salting service when they can.
    I would try to find an inexpensive used plow for your truck, or don't do it til you can get a plow.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, it is possible, I don't know about Texas though.

Here in MN it can be done because we go salt after every snow fall, after every plowing, after ice storms, and so on. We might have 50 salt runs a season payup and only plow 20 times :waving:.
  4. nixray

nixray Senior Member

As a direct contractor I say NO....as a sub yes
  5. poopdeckpappy

poopdeckpappy Member
    from KC,KS

Depending on your locale in Texas, that might be all a customer needs, if that. A pretreat, and another application depending on how heavy you spread will more than likely take care of a minimal snow event. Salting is alot faster than plowing!
  6. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

thanks for all your responses so far, and can gain some insight from each persons answer. Our last storm was simply freezing rain, and there is no way a plow would have prevented the ice. This whole crazy idea came up because a company contacted me asking me if I would sand or salt their parking lot (they never even asked for plowing service, but the lot was a sheet of ice when they called me at 3 pm in the afternoon and plowing would not have been an option at that point anyway).

The entire lot was/is about 42k in square footage. How many bags should I have used for that type of job to get the ice to melt down better. The salt I put down did help ( 5 forty pound bags), but I don't think I used (or charged) enough. I used my fertilizer spreader.....LOL...and even took the time to clear the front side walk with shovels and a trenching shovel...which by the way works great to remove sheet ice!

I realize I took a risk for doing this job before having the snow removal "rider" in place on my general liability policy, but at the same time, I thought I would have been covered IF I wasn't using a snow plow, and went ahead with that logic and did the job before contacting my insurance. (I mention that in here, so others can learn from my mistake on that) CALL FIRST!

So here I be, researching on plowsite, getting quotes for snow removal service, etc. Damn, just learned another tip from another posting that I will put here. Ive been calling it "snow removal" which is really what I WILL NOT be doing. I should be calling it snow plowing instead, because I will be plowing the snow, but do not have a way to remove it from the site. This wording is important when writing quotes, estimates or contracts.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

You are still removing it from the lot. The "professional" thing to say is snow removal. You don't have to hair it away to say that.
    As far as coverage rate, when bidding and estimating, I figure 1 ton per acre. But that's a little high. You used 200 lbs. I don't think that would have done anything, especially with the conditions you mention.