1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody running Pro Wings on a 9' blade???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MOW ME OVER, Jan 15, 2005.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Is anyone out there running Pro Wings on a 9' blade? I was looking on ebay at the Pro Wings and saw one listing say to not mount them on the Boss 9' blade.
    Does anyone know why.

The reason that I ask is that I am switching from a 8.5' to 9' blade for my 02 F350 CC DRW and when turning the outside tires will still get into the unplowed snow and I think that the Pro Wings will really help out with that and clean up.

I would have no problem taking them off when in transit if the next place that I am going is more then a couple blocks away. This is the only reason that I can think that they would recommend not using them on a 9' blade.

2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

With the wings on that 9' blade will pretty much turn into an 11' blade. Seems like alot for a 350. O have wings on my 8' F350 and it's just at 10'. JMO. :cool:
  3. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

the reasion is because of the Department of transportation and the over width laws in your state, i have a 10' plow and i got a ticket in NY

Alright dammit, now I'm confused. What I have now is a 8.5' blade that is 88" wide at the full angle position. A 9' blade would be 94.5" wide at full angle position. The outside tires of my truck are 94" wide. Should I just stick with my 8.5 blade and throw some wings on or get the 9'er and no wings. I'm kind of leaning back towards keeping the 8.5 blade and getting the wings.

Decisions decisions. Thanks guys now I'm all cornfused again. :)
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, in many places the legal limit is 8'6'. Wider requires a special permit. that is why a Blizzard 810 retracts to 8'. Now you know the rest of the story. :)

Well I guess the wise thing to do is stay with the 8.5' blade and get some Pro Wings for it. Now off to go shopping for them wings.
  7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

One more thing to remember. If you angle your wide blade to bring it within legal limits but block out one headlight you could get dinged for that.

I know what you mean it almost does that with my 8.5' and the drivers plow light. I try to run the current blade straight and only up about 12 inches off of the ground when driving to help keep the airflow to the radiator and my trailer tow mirrors are about as wide as the plow when it is straight.

Thanks again Bolts
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would still get the 9' blade. On the really light or small snowfalls put the wings on. On a heavy or deep snowfall leave them off. I have wings(sides) that stick straight out from the blade. Also a 9' plow, you can move a ton of snow and if you want to take it around a corner or scoop it past something it works great. If I go out early and have lots of time to plow I sometimes leave them off. You will give yourself more options with a 9' and wings.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

If I were you, I'd swap to the 9footer. THEN if you want go out and buy the wings. Get to a LARGE lot....put them on. Have to drive a mile to your next lot...leave them on.....Have to drive 6 miles in tight traffic....take them off.

Either way...get that 9footer!

Okay you can call me Mr. Indecisive but I think that I have my mind set on getting the 9 footer after all and I will see if I still want a set of wings after I get to use the blade once or twice. I will probably just get the wings after the plow this week and just get used to the size of the plow first for a couple of times.
  13. WBSII

WBSII Junior Member

8.5 or 9

If you ever backblade starting in between garage door jambs- a 9 foot plow would leave little margin for error
  14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

But you'll get used to watching out for it. I back my 9' plow into my garage all the time. I think my doors are 9'4" :eek: .

Well the 8.5' blade is sitting in the back of the pickup bed as I type. I will go to get the 9' blade tomorrow morning.

I went and picked up the 9 foot blade this morning and stuck it on. Here is a pic of it from the front. Now we just need some SNOW!!!

I ended up having to pay $108 for the difference between the 8.5 and 9 foot blades. Not to bad I thought.

Mow Me Over Job Pictures 206.jpg
  17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Anybody running Pro Wings on a 9' blade?

You know it! :cool:
  18. Mow Me Over,
    You must have had a brand new unused blade already? If not, where in the world did u come across a deal like that? Looks good dude and you're ready for some snow just like the rest of us. :waving:
  19. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I would say NO SNOW yet = un-used blade traded for larger new blade.

By the looks of the green grass down there, he's having the same type of winter we are 200 miles north.

You got it TLS. I was actually thinking of calling my cousins husband that is a snow removal contractor up in the Bethlehem area and letting him know that If I don't have any snow down here and if he needs help to call me if he has some larger lots that my truck can work in and I will be up there in about 3 1/2 hours.

But I seriously doubt this year that you all will get hit and we won't down here.

Any yes you are correct. No snow down here yet and the blade was new in September.