1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody run a camera IN your salt spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by maelawncare, Dec 29, 2009.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well i finally upgraded to a somewhat larger spreader. From a snowex 575 to a 1075. I can hold a lot more salt now, but its hard to judge how much is in there and how much i have used. Well without getting out and looking after every lot.

So it got me thinking. Has anyone ever put one of the small cameras inside a spreader to see how much you have and how its going? With all the newer small cameras and tv screens for them, it should be pretty easy to do. I thought this might be a good idea for the guys who run bulk as well.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had the same thought with the camera but mounted on the sprayer, when spraying a clear liquid at night on a white back ground its hard to see.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Peter Beering has a little bit of experience with this.

4. maelawncare

Wheres peter :dizzy:

5. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I wouln't think a camera would last long under those conditions.

6. leon

leon Senior Member

salt spreader

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================

It might be simpler if you buy a pair of loom clamps at the hardware store and piece of threaded rod to accept a small piece of wood 2 by 4 to act as a level gauge and then attach the threaded rod to the end of the spreader on the inside with the loom clamps bolted to the rear wall of the spreader.

You would have do some figuring if you have a fiberglass spreader and do not want to poke a pair of holes in it.

leon:waving::waving:

7. Kubota 8540

Actually some of these cameras are sealed weather tight. May be a little dusty or dirty? The ones at my shop and outside my house are sealed watertight.

8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

What about a wireless backup camera for your license plate that they sell at walmart.

9. Kubota 8540

Should be sealed and waterproof. Inexpensive too.

10. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I understand they make cameras that are waterproof, but I think from reading his post he is talking about puting it inside the spreader. I would think the salt would eat up the seals pretty quick. Maybe not but that would be my concern.

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

without trying to sound stupid, I have a question for the OP. If you don't get out and look at each lot to see how much is in the spreader, how do you know how much salt you spread in the last lot, and how much to charge? Maybe you have salt included in the price, but I only put in what I need for each lot, and charge per bag. It also saves me from loosing salt inbetween lots.

12. Kubota 8540

Salt eats just about everything. But these cameras are maybe
    $40 ? Moisture and salt would be worse? But just salt dust?

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you will learn it as you use the spreader more. besides you know how much your lots normally take. if you need it down to the exact bag and exact 50#s id say your better to only load up exactly what you need

14. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I didn't realize you could by these this cheap. Is that just for the camera or does it include a screen to watch it on?

15. Kubota 8540

Cameras only $25-40
    Monitor for cab $40-60
    Whole set up $ 50-100 depending on size of monitor/lcd screen

16. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

If it works thats a darn good idea.

I drive a salt truck now and even with lights in the back, the only way I can tell that im actually spreading is when I hear it hitting cars in the parking lot...haha And thats not the best idea.

I am so going to hook one of those up and see how it works.

17. bosman

bosman Senior Member

Would you need a light for the camera or are they for low light.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  18. Kubota 8540

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VR3-...wItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?hash=item3358c015cf

Screen is kind of small on this one

19. maelawncare

I might try it. One thing i need to figure out is how to light up the area. Dont know if it will work in a dark area.

And there is no way i am going to stop at each lot and check the hopper. Theres a reason i bought a bigger salt spreader. I do know roughly how much salt each lot takes. But sometimes you have to use more, and sometimes you have to use less. And not salt is lost in between. Its a snowex.

20. Kubota 8540

I do believe most of these cameras are infrared night vision