1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody put a plow on a 2007 Toyota Tundra?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by PA-plow-at-home, Mar 21, 2007.

1. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

I've been looking at the new '07 Toyota Tundra.
    My local Toyota dealer says this new Tundra was designed to handle a plow, and that buyers now don't have to worry about warranty issues when a plow is mounted, because Toyota anticipated that plows (light weight and mid weight plows) would be mounted on the new Tundra.
    The dealer says there are mounts available, or will be available soon. They weren't sure whcih plow company, but they thought it was Western.
    The dealer is willing to have a plow installed, and have it financed into the entire vehicle purchase. I told them that I would have to write into the sales contract that the vehicle warranty will not be affected by the mounting of the plow, and the dealer says thats OK.

I would only need a lightweight plow, for plowing my own driveway, such as a Western Suburbanite, or Blizzard 720LT.

Anybody seen a plow on a new '07 Tundra yet?

The new Tundra has "limited slip differentials" via braking action. By my definition, thats not real "limited slip".
    Does the lack of a real limited slip differential on the new Tundra make it a poor candidate for any kind of plowing?
    If you get the new Tundra with the 5.7L V8, you get a 10.5" rear differential. Is it likely that a real limited slip setup will be offered in the aftermarket soon?

Any idea why you can't get the rear defroster in the regular cab version of the new Tundra?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Dodge, toyota. whats next a ford?

Yes, all MFG's will warranty your truck if plow your drive only.(personal use)
    If you are for hire. For Hire=commercial use= for money.
    They may not cover you but most will.
    Other MFG's anticipate plows being used on there trucks also.

The dealer may say O.K. but it's the warranty adjuster/adviser that will have the last say if it will be covered or not.

What about the ABS syestem?

Q. What is the hang up you have with this rear window defroster?

next, what color? :dizzy:

are you related to westernboy16?

ps. the yoda will been timbrens also:waving:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have seen two with Fishers on them. at a dealer. They were real Fishers not the Homesteaders. My Fisher dealer though can't get a mounting kit for them yet. So I am not sure what that means. I think I will take a ride up to the Toyota dealer I saw them at and get a closer look.

4. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Last I saw they only came with a 3800lb front-axle. This was on info straight from the Toyota upfitter site.

You can't put a "real" plow on a 3800lb axle - that's mid-weight territory.

If they have a "plow-prep" front axle I haven't heard about it.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Back in the day the 3800 lbs front axle was the standard for the 3/4 ton pick up. look at any of the manufacturers app. guides from the early 90s and the only footnote would be min. 3800lbs fgaw

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Don't buy a Toyota, Buy a Chevy, GMC or a Ford.

7. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

Since I haven't bought the plow or the vehicle yet, any vehicle maker's product is something to consider. I like Toyota for their reliability, but I'm willing to consider Dodge, Ford, GMC/Chevy, and Toyota. There are dealers for all those brands close to where I live. I'd like to make a well-informed decision, based on my needs, which is why I ask the questions here.

The '07 Toyota Tundra has ABS brakes at all four wheels. For me, 4-whl ABS is necessary.

For me, a rear window defroster is necessary. In my opinion, the lack of a rear window defroster is an unacceptable cost-cutting measure by vehicle mfrs. If its not a standard item, it should at least be available as an option. I've seen the need for rear window defrosters in various pick-up trucks during storms, and I've read quite a few comments on the PlowSite.com forums by people who have said they wished they had a rear window defroster.

I'm guessing you are trying to suggest that my questions are petty, and not worthwhile.

I'm new to PlowSite.com, so I don't know who "westerboy16" is. Do you treat all new comers to PlowSite this way?

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I can imagine Toyota will make provisions for adding full size plows to Tundras, as they're being touted as full size trucks. When Ford came out with their new F150 probably 10 years ago, they couldn't handle a plow on the front ends. Was it the plow manufacturers or Ford saying this, I'm not sure. Ford eventually modified the 150, and it sounds like Toyota is doing the same for their trucks. Hope it works for you!

~Kevin

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  10. PA-plow-at-home

PA-plow-at-home Member

I wasn't necessarily talking about the inside of the window. I was referring mostly to the outside of the window. During our last two storms here in southeastern PA, I had my back window (on a pickup) get semi-covered in ice, while driving, which necessitated the use of the rear defroster. I was glad I had it. And the outside of the window was clean, but the ice still attached to it, while driving in the storms.

I wish I was a "kid". Unfortunately, I'm older than I ever thought I'd be. The only good part about having gotten this far in life is having the money to buy the things I want; but I'd trade it all for my youth again...

I'm not going to plow as a business. I just want to plow my driveway.

Great idea. Over the last five years I've have quotes ranging from $50 to $200, for each plowing of my driveway. The $50 guys never showed up, at all. The $100 guy broke down doing other plowing. The $200 guys only did the plowing after they did their commercial accounts, which was 4-6 hours after I was hoping to drive out of my driveway; AND they did a rather sloppy job, such as not doing the area close to the garage doors, and scraping up the lawn adjacent to the asphalt, etc, etc. I could do a better job with my big snowblower, and have it done before the plow guys even show up. But as we all know, its no fun to be outside in the windy cold while blowing snow. This is no criticism of the plow people. They do the best they can, but I think I could do a better job of plowing my driveway because I know my driveway better than anybody else. And I could plow it whenever I feel that it needs to be plowed. If I plow it, I don't have to wait for somebody else. Thats worth a lot to me.

I need the pickup bed anyways, and I'd prefer a new vehicle (since I'd probably keep it for 10 or more years) that is optioned out with everything that I want on it. A sizeable pickup truck is larger than what I currently have, and would allow me to mount a plow. So I figure, why not spend a few grand extra, and get a plow. Then I can plow my own driveway.

I value the opinions of everybody on this website, even if somebody throws some negative comments at me.
    I'm just here trying to get some info from people who know a lot more than me. And maybe someday I'll be able to help some newcomers.

SnoFarmer, if I buy a big pickup and a plow, and if it ends up being a mistake, and if I find a reliable plow service to take its place, then I'll just chalk it up to another life lesson.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Hey, Welcome Back:waving:

Some opinions are thrown out there to make you think.
    negative- contradicting your decision. Positive supportive.
    Doesn't make them wrong.

So you already have a plow truck ? What make and model and what kind of plow?

Good luck on that rear window. Short of having a rear wiper installed your going to have ice build up around the window. BUT this will not be a problem if you are only plowing your own drive. It takes time for this to occur.
    I don't think you will have any problems with this as it should only take you 5 to 10 minutes to plow your drive.

Most run there defrosters on high and have window cracked to fully open.
    Only during a really heavy storm and after hr.s of plowing do I experience and Ice build up around the window.
    And yes keeping the window clean inside and out will almost evaluates this and a coat of rain-x helps.

As far as your previous plow services. The reasons you mentioned are the ones that most home owners site as the biggest problems.

Plowing is not rocket science but it is harder than it looks.
    You will still need to shovel snow away from the garage you will still dig up the grass and hit the mail box.

You already know all of this right?
    Good luck shopping for your new ride.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  12. Averysdad

Averysdad Member

The local Toyota dealer has a new Tundra with a full size Fisher (not Homesteader) in the lot. I'll try and get a picture for you guys.....

13. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

tundra plow

boss makes a sport duty plow for this truck:salute:

14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

BS :gunsfiring:

I checked the new Tundra out top to bottom and talked with the regional rep in upper Illinois. Double checked at a few dealers and many contacts with whom ever responds to Toyota corporate emails. Originally they were going to come to market with a plow that Toyota made. However, they decided NOT to do such for the launch. No further comment on that they would give. They then said Western is making a plow for the Tundra but, it will not be ready for several months and there where no details. Bottom line - take a look at the front suspension and you will notice it will not hold a full plow with out damage.

I did test one out on some mixed snow and packed snow and the tail broke loose way too easily. Way too easily!

Sharp truck, many thoughtful designs but, plowing is not going to be one of them at this time. They are expected to bring to market a 2500/3500 equivalent in 2009-2011 if the new generation sells well.

15. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Couldn't have said it better myself!

16. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

PA: I just gotta throw my inexperienced 2-cents in here...

You are getting some harsh responses. I am new here also, but have only had helpful responses to my questions, even from people who disagree with me. Harsh responses that make you re-consider a potentially bad decision are helpful; harsh responses that are just critical because you like Toyota instead of GM (or whatever) are useless...

If you are only doing personal plowing, look around at all the people who have great things to say about plowing with Tacomas, Rangers, and other small trucks. (Heck, I saw one post from a guy plowing with a Chevy Astro van!) They can't hold the heavy commercial-grade plows, but do you really need one of those to plow your driveway? Look around and I think you'll find a bunch of people who can tell you all kinds of good stories about reliable and effective plowing with 4-cyl toyotas using light-duty or homeowner plows. And the cost savings are substantial. It is right that you can pay for endless winters of professional plowing for the $30K of a new truck, but you can also get a decent used light-duty plow for under $2000, and at today's costs of plowing that can pay for itself in just a few years. Or if you look around, you can find a used truck with a plow on it for about the same cost as buying a new plow for your new truck, and then your new truck could be spared the work of plowing. Consider all your options...

I share your same frustrations at having someone else plow my road and driveway too, and that's how I ended up here. Good luck with your truck and plow search.

17. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

"
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    Don't buy a Toyota, Buy a Chevy, GMC or a Ford.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!"

Correct me if I am wrong...isn't this the Import Trucks/Light Duty section??:nod:

18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yes it is.. and he hadn't bought the toy yet ,so I wanted to help him out. It's my opinion and if you don't like it, don't read it.

19. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would advise to only take the advice of people who have experience running or repairing a specific piece of equipment, be it a truck, plow etc or anything else.

I run both Full Size trucks (have owned all three majors) and Toyotas, as I have said each have there place.

I have owned many different brands (and repaired many others) of snowplows.

One guy, who has always owned a Dodge (or Chevy or Ford or Toyota) has no real experience. Yes they are entitled to there opinions but I would weigh where they are coming from.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If so they disregarded the Fisher recommendations. Fisher lists a Homesteader and the LD plow for this truck.

If you're considering plowing with a 1/2 ton truck Toyota does it (builds a 1/2 ton) as well as anyone.

The 7.5 Snoway 26 series goes well with this truck. I have customers pushing 7'6" 22 series with Tacos, quite successfully. I have one customer who has used a tundra (old body) for about 6 years. Changed the plow to his new 06 tundra this past fall. He calls it his monster snow moving machine. He use to run ford 3/4s but says he will never go back to an "American made dinosaur."

I personally feel for commercial work a 3/4 is the only way to go, but for home use you could use a lawn tractor if you plowed with the storm, so a Tundra should do you just fine for your own drive.