1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody plowing with a newer Can Am

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Dave T, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Hey guys. Thinking about upgrading to a new Can Am 650 XT.

Anybody plowing with one of the newer Can Am's? If so, how's the frame holding up? Any trouble with the shifter binding?

Thanks

2. mud

mud Senior Member

Been plowing with my 800 since I bought it new in late 05. No troubles at all. They shifter is a bit of a pain sometimes but you will get used to it really fast.

3. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Thanks mud,

What does the shifter do? How do you work around it... move from side to side or front to back on the quad to get it to catch?

4. skamaniac

skamaniac Member

It shifts easier if you let it idle down for a second before you try to shift. Also, raise the handle before moving it into position.

5. hoopdogusa

hoopdogusa Junior Member

this is second season plowin and all is good with my 800.the only problem i have is when plowin and having my extra lights on it draws on the battery pretty hard. my shifts a little tough too , but that is due to my stealth snorkel job. she is a beast, heavy and no shortage of power!!! looks like she might get a workout with the 24" of snow coming!!!!!!

6. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Interesting... do you mean pull up on the handle while shifting?

Thanks

7. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

hoopdogusa,

Thanks! Where you located in PA? I'm looking for a good dealer recommendation too.

8. hoopdogusa

hoopdogusa Junior Member

i'm in the southern part of the state near gettysburg. i use motorsports in hanover ,pa. they have treated my family good so far. we are getting freakin hammered with snow already!!!!!!! got like 6" since 4 this morning!!!!!!

9. mud

mud Senior Member

All I have to do if it doesn't want to shift is work the shifter back in the other direction and drop it into the next position then re shift back the the desired gear.

It doesn't happen every time but will happen once in a while. It has kinda gotten to the point where it doesn't phase me at all anymore, just work the lever back one notch then back to the desired gear position.

10. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Check you engine idle and make sure it is set to specs as high idle causes all kinds of shifting problems.:D

11. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Thanks man... little to far for me to drive.

Get out there and plow that stuff! :D

12. mud

mud Senior Member

skywagon, the idle is fine, computer controlled on the can-am's anyway. The linkage is just a bit sticky on them even when adjusted properly.