1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Plowing With A Manual Tranny?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DozerMan, Apr 4, 2007.

1. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

I'm considering a 2005 or newer Ram 2500 or 3500 single wheel with a Cummins. I'm only interested in the 6-speed standard transmission.

I did a search but couldn't find the right threads, so sorry if this has been hashed over.

How many of you plow with a manual tranny? How has it held up? I would probably put a South Bend clutch in it too.

Right now I plow with a Duramax/Ally which I love, but I want to go to a SFA, and a Dodge with a Cummins and 6-speed manual is all I am considering.

Is it too much of a PIA going with a manual? I just don't trust the automatics, too many horror stories. I also will be adding some performance mods, so I would fry the auto eventually. I have some properties that I plow, where they require a lot of shifting, and I have some that are long pushes. It's about 50/50.

Any opinions?

2. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

my older truck is a hd 4 speed it works well but when im doin alot of plowing my leg and foot get sore from pushing in the clutch i cant decide which is better autos or sticks i have both

3. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

its really your own preference there are guys on here that say plowing with a manual is fine. i plowed 20 hours with a manual once and my leg was sore for a week. so for now i will stick with an automatic.

4. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I'd choose an auto over a standard any day for plowing or daily driving. I have one of each, both older chevy's.

5. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

I have plowed with both.presently have manual I do 42 driveways and three commercail and find the manaul to be faster.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i plow 20 someod drives and 2 very very large commercial places with a stick, and i have no problems, my last truck was an auto and i prefer the stick.

7. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

if ur worried about the dodge auto problems..... ur in the clear. I think it was after like 2002 or something like that, that they changed their tranny's and their new ones are allot better, especially the ones they run with the ctd's..... not sure of the fancy names, but I know their better. As far as a manual, my midnight blue ol' dak is a manual, and it does the job. I've only had to replace the clutch once in 4 years, which is pretty good considering all the abuse it goes through when plowing nonstop for days at a time. Cheap compared to a new tranny. It did go out during a storm, but it will still usable for the rest of the storm. Shops can put new one in pretty fast too.