1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody plowing with a half ton

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Geary44, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

hey there, if you plow with a half ton truck what plow do you use? and what problems do you run into that you wouldnt if you were using a bigger truck? and could you please post pictures of your 1/2 ton plow trucks... thanks

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search using the words "half ton" and you'll find plenty of info and pics.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have several Ramchargers which are considered 1/2 ton trucks. They plow fine until you get alot of heavy wet snow then they just don't have the weight needed to stay behind the plow. With a pick up, you could put some ballast in the back to help with this issue. Plow depends on the year and what the truck will hold.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You can plow with a 1/2 ton you are just limited a bit. Plow weight puts a strain on front end. (Just like the bigger ones) But most half tons have IFS. So you need to mod the front end a lil bit. Like stated with heavy wet snow you will have issues. But thats only in bigger parking lots. If you are looking for a driveway rig. 1/2 ton is a good choice. with no bigger than a 7.6 blade. Also if you have one of those new Dodges with a set of performance tires on it like the 20's. You will need a regular set of tires to plow with

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I plowed with a '90 Dodge 1/2 ton for several years. It did fine. I had a guy riding with me the day I pushed 14" of wet and heavy snow about 1/4 mile on a 10% grade of twisting hardpack. It was struggling with the gas to the floor, but we made it. He said he wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't been riding with me. I wouldn't recommend you put your truck through that, but the point is - a half ton does fine.

6. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

thanks for your replys i have seen some half tons out there with plows but the dealers dont recomend any standard duty plows for my 1500. they say that they would be too heavy for my truck and reccomend i go with something like the meyer drive pro or the fisher homesteader. but i wotld be doing some light commercial plowing and want a plow more suitable for that

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't underestimate those plows; at least the Homesteader. The weight factor comes into play mainly when you're going down the road with the plow raised. When the plow is on the ground actually plowing, the weight of the plow affects the truck much less. Now the stress is from the snow being pushed in front of the plow. Since your concern is light commercial, you actually have less to be concerned with having a shorter moldboard with a Homesteader than an RD 7.5'. That's because you'll be pushing deeper snow more often (say every 2-3" instead of 6-10" with residentials).

8. BigDave12768

I have seen lots of complaints about the Homesteaser. I would go with the new Fisher H-t if you are looking to buy new or a Blizzard or a Boss. I am not a fan of the Myers. The Homesteader is a very light duty plow. To light duty for a full size truck

9. BigDave12768

Something like this that only weighs 600# is good for a half ton
    http://www.bossplow.com/Content/Pdf/StandardDutyStraight.pdf

Blizzards weigh less that 500# and you could put an 8ft on
    http://www.blizzardplows.com/lightweight.asp

and the Fisher HT is only 414#
    http://www.fishersnowplows.com/modeldetail.asp?model=ht

out of these 3 plows the Boss is probably the toughest built for the weight class. The Fisher is close to 700 in the 7.6 SD version and maybe a bit heavy for you
    But the first thing you should look for is dealers in your area. How easy would it be to get serviced or parts. I am from New England and we got tons of Fishers dealers around here.

10. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

how about the western midweight or the midweight poly ??

11. PaulP24

PaulP24 Junior Member

I have an 08 ram 1500. I have a fisher ht series plow on it and I like it. The biggest problem I have with it though is attaching it. The jack stand is on the leftside of the plow and it should be in the middle so it makes the attachement process a pain but when its on the truck it plows awsome and its quick. It is pricey though about $3500

12. zeek

zeek Member

2009 1/2 ton with a 7.5 SD fisher....works great.

13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Have a half ton with plow but not plowing with it right now, Im driving a mouse/keyboard:laughing:

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I would never put a homesteader on that truck. Get an HT if you want something light, or the Boss Sport Duty is a nice plow as well. Check out the Snowdogg MD75 as well- They can be found for under $3000 new and installed.

15. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I have an '02 Ram 1500 with a Boss 7'6" super duty and I love it. Easiest plow to hook up. I have always used half tons because of maneuverability in some of the lots that I do. I also have a snowex 3000 in the back. The only mods I have done were adjust torsion bars for the front and timbrens in the back. The only thing I don't like is my 5.9L seem to lack some balls for that big of a motor. I think it should handle all that weight with no problem, but the plow is awesome.

16. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I plow lots of snow with my half ton-look at my thread if you want pictures

17. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i have a 03 ram 1500 with a vbox i will take some pics towm and post them i wouldnt buy a 1500 to plow with but i got one hell of a deal i'll post the info when i post the pics

18. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I would like to see those pics. If you don't mind.

19. bravada75

bravada75 Junior Member

smaller truck

i plow with a dakota quadcab and i use a boss sport duty with timbrens in the front of the truck i plow a few lots and a few driveways with it and have had no prob pushing heavy wet snow at all and being a smaller truck i can get into and under smaller places

20. pvtwaggs14

pvtwaggs14 Member
    from nw ohio

so I know its a few months since the last post but I push a lot of snow with my 1993 dodge w150 it has a cap on it and I keep 300lbs of salt for my walks and a few drives in it plus my snowblower ramps to load and a few shovels and chains. I plow my church parking lot which is pretty good size. my 1/2 ton has a 7.5 meyer ST plow and wings and pushed 11" of snow better than my friends 3/4 ton with a 7.5 with no wings.... I think its a lot on if you know how to push and how you treat your equipment.