1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody plowing roads this year?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mercer_me, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My friend just got the plowing contract for Mercer Maine, so I'm going to get my class B license in a few years when his father is to old to plow. He had to buy 2 Ford 8000, 2 GMC 8500, and 3 Internationals. He plowed Mercer roads for 23 years until 2002 when he lost the contract to an idiot, who tried to plow 30 miles of roads with a Dodge 2500 with a 9' Boss plow and 2 Internationals that were broke down all the time. Then another idiot got the contract, he had the equipment but he plowed all the roads with a Dodge 3500 with a 9' Fisher. So we are very happy that we have a guy that knows what he is doing for at least the next 3 years. He had to buy all new trucks because when he lost the contract he sold all of his trucks. He had to buy all the trucks because when you plow roads you trucks break down alot.
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

that contract better be worth some serious loot:nod:
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

not as much as your probably thinking.
    this is common in maine. some of these small towns that dot our state are very poor, have a low population
    (maybe only a hundred people), and are only six miles wide. lol.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

he must be doing more than one township if he needs 7 trucks
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

and to buy those trucks he better be making some loot
  6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Not to mention Maine has a reputation for not paying and or not paying on time! The bank won't care if he is owed the money or not. Take it from one of the guys that goes after them. I hear Mass is even worse. They out scource almost everything and have yet to pay a good deal of the guys from last year.
  7. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Ottawa County (MI) subs out over 150 miles of roads.
    The current contract holder has it for another 2 years and I believe he does it with all former county or dot trucks.

If i remember right his bid equaled to about 1000$ per mile for the season and I believe salt was applied by the county.
  8. cretebaby

who pays for town roads the township, county or state?......just wondering
  9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

town(copy and pasted this to give you a idea)
    Smaller towns in the county have been spared the expense of overtime because they contract for winter snow removal, paying the same contracted amount regardless of how much it snows.

But like their counterparts that maintain highway crews, small towns are feeling the financial pinch of supplying salt and sand for winter roads.

Orland Selectman Wayne Ames said exact figures were not available, but the town is definitely facing higher costs for sand and salt this winter, despite maintaining a steady cost for snow removal through its contract with Wardwell Construction and Trucking.

Several towns in the Schoodic region see their small-town status as a blessing this winter.

Lamoine, Gouldsboro and Hancock, which contract for snow plowing at a set rate, see the locked-in prices for plowing as a boon for their budgets, which remain steady regardless of the snowfall.

“We don’t have a public works department like some of the bigger towns,” said Stu Markoon, administrative assistant in Lamoine. “It’s $85,000 no matter how much it snows. Last year they made money; this year we will.”

heres what mercer used to use to plow the roads!
    its actually a nice little town. They average 90 inches of snow or so in that area i think,.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  10. RepoMan207

from Maine

We don't have Townships here. But I get your meaning. County isn't involved in such matters in Maine. It's either State, or Local. Some towns here actually opt out on the snow funding, and have an agreement with the state to take care of there roads, which 9 times out of 10 are subed out. Either way though, State takes care of State Interstates and Intrastates, unless subed out in the far reaches of this fine state.
  11. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

If I recall correctly, New Sharon had a brutal time with snowplowing a couple of years ago as well. The guy that got the contract couldn't keep up and the towns folk were PO'd. I am fortunate to live and plow in Farmington. Generally speaking, the town crew has the roads plowed before I even start my route. Gotta love those high taxes.
  12. cretebaby

bri said something about "6 miles wide" which here is a township 6 miles by 6 miles

in WI the state does the interstate hwy
    the county does the state and county roads
    the township does the township roads and some "villages"
    the city does city streets

very little is subbed out
  13. RepoMan207

from Maine

Go over to Mass.....Middle of a storm on interstate, Traffic comes to a stand still, then starts to roll along about 3-5 mph litterly. You finnaly get up to the source 45 min. later if your lucky, you find 15 relic trucks in a huge V formation plowing the road with one to two state trucks laying the salt. Rolling Road Block! Mass depends on 80% of Subs to plow there highways, and side roads. SUBS! They don't care who you are. Get a sticker, permit and insurance and your in the door! I am sure there is a bit more to it, but there is no bid process. I once saw an Exploer with a home steader going up 495! WTF There was a news thing on it about a month ago. State wasn't paying there tabs.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008