1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody plowing in colorado?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sillyp, Oct 18, 2004.

1. sillyp

sillyp Junior Member

I'd like to get a plow for my 99 f250sd reg cab. I dont have $4000 to spend, how much could i expect to spend on a used one? looks like most of you guys are out east, how many are plowing in colorado, and how difficult is it to make it profitable?

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

where in co are you.... call me at 970 406 1374 if you want to talk... Howard

3. sillyp

sillyp Junior Member

I'm a few miles west of Boulder. I camped in leadville just this last weekend. it was cold. I'm sure there is plenty of plowing up there. Down here in Boulder it seems like it would be kinda few and far between. do you know of any places to find a good used plow?

4. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Used, your best bet is to keep up with the classifieds. Most "used" plows in Colorado are BEAT to CRAP.

Anything you do to make money is going to be an investment of time and money. (time&money=more money)

Start small, maybe find someone who is already plowing and sub contract for the first year or two to pay for your plow... See what it is about and then in the following years work on getting your own accounts.

The plow is not the only expense. INSURANCE will cost as much as the plow. I pay almost $2600 a year for one truck and 2mil in liability on my commercial auto

Howard

5. sillyp

sillyp Junior Member

hmm, I own a tree service, things are very slow in the winter. (hense my inquireys) But we are stuck paying insurance year around. I wonder if my insurance would cover, or if i could add plowing for little additional cost. If i subcontract, would i need to have insurance?

btw, i've never actually driven a plow, but i have always had a nack for driving in the snow, and machines of all sorts. So maybe i'd want to get a beat to crap used one so i dont break a brand new one.

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

My dad plows in Castle Rock. :waving:

7. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I bought my first used plow from Colorado.

Got it from Ebay. The plow was itself was in pretty Tiff shape but had a lot of life left in it. It came from the Salida area, an older couple had it on a 1963 Chevy 3/4 ton. They plowed the road to their house and a few neighbors. I has to be some of the most beautiful country I have seen in my travels.

If you find a used plow, just be sure to look at the lowest edge of the blade. Where the cutting edge bolts. My blade had that area worn completely off with the cutting edge welded to it.

A good used plow can be found, just not in Iowa.

Good luck,
    Mark K

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

There's plenty of them in Iowa in my area.